GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

No Horn after BCM upgrade.

Sammie M

Hi,
Recently bought a 2016 GTI with a headlight upgrade to mk7.5 LED headlights which didn't work to start with.
However after some help, I retrofitted a 4B module and changed up the BCM. Re-Coded the adaptations etc and got everything working...except the HORN!
When I plug the old BCM back in, the horn works! There are very few coding changes relating to the Signal Horn.
I've replaced the Steering Wheel J527 module to one from a 2017 golf which had the same upgraded BCM I'm now using..and still no joy.

Am I right in now thinking the new BCM must have a fault??

Old BCM 5Q0937084AS
New BCM 5Q0939084CF

Any and all help welcomed.

Thanks
Sam

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Agorina

Passed Driver's Ed
It could be many different things. All the modules communicate with each other so the problem could be very difficult to locate. What if you tried changing the horn itself? That's the only cost effective thing I could think of right now.

Sent from my LYA-L0C using Tapatalk

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
It beeps (as opposed to the richer Honk) with the old BCM in place.

There are 2 horns, one on each side to give the tone. It sounds like one side has failed from what you are saying and could purely be coincidence.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
There are 2 horns, one on each side to give the tone. It sounds like one side has failed from what you are saying and could purely be coincidence.

I could be mistaken, but aren't there 2 different horn circuits? One for the high-tone horn only (locking/unlocking) and the other that activates both? In this case, I would tap the trigger to the horn that's working, and run a wire to the one that isn't, to determine if it's a faulty horn or a faulty circuit. Plus, if the low-tone horn is working, the problem is solved.

Sammie M

A bit of an update.
I ran 3 'Live Data' tests.

1st on the Steering Column electronics, signal horn....when I press the horn, the status changes to 'activated' (no sound).

2nd on the BCM Activation of Signal Horn....when I press the horn, the status changes to 'operated' (no sound).

3rd on the Gateway module, Multi function Steering wheel.....under here it monitors a number of buttons including Signal horn....when I press the horn status stays at 'not activated'.

Given I've upgraded the BCM, and the Steering Electronics...J527 but not yet the CAN Gateway, do you think this could be the issue?
Although everything else is working.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I could be mistaken, but aren't there 2 different horn circuits? One for the high-tone horn only (locking/unlocking) and the other that activates both? In this case, I would tap the trigger to the horn that's working, and run a wire to the one that isn't, to determine if it's a faulty horn or a faulty circuit. Plus, if the low-tone horn is working, the problem is solved.

There is a separate horn for the alarm/verification beep. The high/low service horns are on the other circuit.

Does a VCDS scan show any errors?