GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New clutch

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
How many miles are on the clutch disk?
The old one had 33k miles. I'm only at around 300 miles on the new one right now. Was waiting till at least 500 miles before I started trying it out. What kind of break in miles has everyone put on there new clutch?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

RecycledDonuts

Ready to race!
The old one had 33k miles. I'm only at around 300 miles on the new one right now. Was waiting till at least 500 miles before I started trying it out. What kind of break in miles has everyone put on there new clutch?

Wait until at least 800+ miles to send it man. You have to make sure it is broken in properly. This will prevent you being one of those guys that did not and bad mouth a clutch company for their own mistakes.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
So today I got impatient. Real close to 800 miles on it now. At 500 miles I started driving a little more spirited but kept it on map 0. Today I started playing with map 1 and everything felt solid. So I did some pulls in map 2 for some logs and so far its holding like a champ. I haven't done any launches and haven't been banging the gears. Only pulls in 3rd with a quick shift to 4. It has gotten a little quieter, but not much. At idle it still sounds like a valve is coming through the hood.

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
I have a Southbend Stage three daily. It is not loud at all. Pedal was omg high at first, after a 1k Miles much better. If I get into my stock 2018 GTI after my Alltrack the clutch feels soft and flabby. I like the increased pedal effort in Alltrack. I have six k on new clutch now, seems normal to me at this point. I was concerned about noise or chatter but have none.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I have around 1200 miles on it now. It has gotten a little bit quieter. However from idle to ~1200 rpm it still has alot of chatter. It has lightened up alot on the pedal. It now feels like a real clutch. I haven't done the bleeder valve or spring delete yet. My wife has had 2 spinal fusion and 2 si joint fusion surgeries so it's just about right for her. A new development is if I lightly press on the pedal (no engagement, just taking up pedal slack), there is a good vibration on the pedal. Anyone else have this issue?

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
I have around 1200 miles on it now. It has gotten a little bit quieter. However from idle to ~1200 rpm it still has alot of chatter. It has lightened up alot on the pedal. It now feels like a real clutch. I haven't done the bleeder valve or spring delete yet. My wife has had 2 spinal fusion and 2 si joint fusion surgeries so it's just about right for her. A new development is if I lightly press on the pedal (no engagement, just taking up pedal slack), there is a good vibration on the pedal. Anyone else have this issue?

What do you think is happening w you giving it slight pressure? Think about it..

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
^

Or...you could just tell him your hypothesis?
I could..

Or he could think before posting a question like “if I lightly step on my brakes while rolling my car slowly decelerates, anyone else having this issue?”

I’m trying to have him think why he’s experiencing what he’s experiencing, a light bulb may go on if he just think about it for 3min.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I could..

Or he could think before posting a question like “if I lightly step on my brakes while rolling my car slowly decelerates, anyone else having this issue?”

I’m trying to have him think why he’s experiencing what he’s experiencing, a light bulb may go on if he just think about it for 3min.
Or... and think real long and hard about this, maybe this is a new event that was not present before. My stock clutch never had the vibration and the first 800 miles of this clutch didn't have it. This has just started recently. I know the feeling of the throw out bearing rubbing the fingers of the pressure plate. This is not it. So thanks for automatically assuming we all are idiots. Have a great day!

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
Or... and think real long and hard about this, maybe this is a new event that was not present before. My stock clutch never had the vibration and the first 800 miles of this clutch didn't have it. This has just started recently. I know the feeling of the throw out bearing rubbing the fingers of the pressure plate. This is not it. So thanks for automatically assuming we all are idiots. Have a great day!

Your stock clutch is not in the car now is it?

Your new smf and new clutch are in, why are we comparing it to something entirely different? Not following.

What about the feeling of the clutch slave cylinder piston feeling something? And how would you know what it feels like when by your own admission you didn’t have it before on oem clutch or new one until today? Did you ever have a smf clutch before?

I didn’t assume you’re an idiot. I assumed and still do that you aren’t thinking it through but instead posting and looking for a quick answer from someone more knowledgeable perhaps.

Last edited:

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Your stock clutch is not in the car now is it?

Your new smf and new clutch are in, why are we comparing it to something entirely different? Not following.

What about the feeling of the clutch slave cylinder piston feeling something? And how would you know what it feels like when by your own admission you didn’t have it before on oem clutch or new one until today? Did you ever have a smf clutch before?

I didn’t assume you’re an idiot. I assumed and still do that you aren’t thinking it through but instead posting and looking for a quick answer from someone more knowledgeable perhaps.
I think somehow we are still lightyears apart, so let me fo into more detail on what is going on with the pedal. As I press the clutch pedal down, right as the slack in the pedal is taken up, the pedal will bounce about a quarter of an inch. Hard enough to bounce my leg. As soon as it starts to engage, it quits. As I'm letting off the pedal, right as the clutch is fully engaged, I get the same bounce. I have drove manual vehicles my whole life with several types of clutches. This type of vibration I haven't had before. If it is something blatantly obvious then I apologize for my ignorance. I am just reporting my observations about a clutch that not many people has installed yet. If someone has this clutch in their car feel free to let us know if my experience is similar to yours.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
I think somehow we are still lightyears apart, so let me fo into more detail on what is going on with the pedal. As I press the clutch pedal down, right as the slack in the pedal is taken up, the pedal will bounce about a quarter of an inch. Hard enough to bounce my leg. As soon as it starts to engage, it quits. As I'm letting off the pedal, right as the clutch is fully engaged, I get the same bounce. I have drove manual vehicles my whole life with several types of clutches. This type of vibration I haven't had before. If it is something blatantly obvious then I apologize for my ignorance. I am just reporting my observations about a clutch that not many people has installed yet. If someone has this clutch in their car feel free to let us know if my experience is similar to yours.

At least to me it’s obvious that by taking up slack w your pedal you are depressing the piston on the clutch fork/lever (and rel bearing in turn) and feeling the rotational vibrations of your new smf and clutch setup. Disagree?

I’m gonna guess you have to do this somewhat carefully to replicate and if you drive normally you don’t feel this vibration, correct? It’s just when you’re riding this slack free sweet spot that you feel it. So stop doing that and symptoms are gone.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
At least to me it’s obvious that by taking up slack w your pedal you are depressing the piston on the clutch fork/lever (and rel bearing in turn) and feeling the rotational vibrations of your new smf and clutch setup. Disagree?

I’m gonna guess you have to do this somewhat carefully to replicate and if you drive normally you don’t feel this vibration, correct? It’s just when you’re riding this slack free sweet spot that you feel it. So stop doing that and symptoms are gone.
The only time I dont notice it is when I aggressively shift. (1/4 mile runs, etc.) Normal driving it is noticed, but you are correct in the slower the press/depress, the more it is felt. What concerns me is for the first month of driving it was never noticed by me or my wife. This has come about in the last couple of hundred miles or so. I may just be paranoid, but wanted confirmation just in case it was something to be concerned of. I'll keep an eye on it and report if it gets worse.