GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

[Buying advice] MK7 GTI v MK6 Golf R

vedant

This would be a secondary weekender / fun car.

Either way, 6MT 2-door base. GTI in question would be 2015 / 2016 and R would be 2012. I’m looking for something competent in the backroads, 3-4 times per year driving in the snow, and possibly Autocross. Tech doesn’t really matter to me at all as long as it has AUX or Bluetooth audio. Only looking at minor bolt-ons in terms of the aftermarket as of now.

Please share your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Mk7 is an entirely different animal. The previous 5-6 gen Golfs were nothing to write home about imho.

2015 gti all day

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Yeah I have to agree with Twist on this one. Previous gen's don't match up to the MK7's. Get the GTI.

This.

MK7 ALL day long.....sooooooooooooooooo much better.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
Mk7 is a game changer in the hot hatch market. It's a much better platform to start with along with a much better engine.
Mk7 all the way, no question.

Ham2

I was in the same exact boat a year ago, was really hankering for a MK6 R. Other than snow (I haven't invested in snow tires yet), I've had no regrets with my 2016 Autobahn. These cars have a crazy amount of potential.

I'm currently only JB4 with stock downpipe but the car is still a blast to drive with a ton of room for more power with a proper clutch and eventual tuning.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Mk7 especially if you plan on modding. So much more potential on the mk7 platform, it really is leaps and bounds better than the mk6.

A2R

Go Kart Newbie
I went from a MK7 R 2016 to a MK7 GTI 2017 and I don’t consider it a downgrade other than the materials on the inside. Driving wise i fee like the GTI is more tossable and nimble.

I had both stage 1 tuned and they are a blast.

As others have said the previous generation R was nothing to write home about. With a tune the MK7 GTI will run circles around the MK6 R all day long and with the PP it will be even worse.

Only thing I could say is if you need AWD like you live in the Yukon, Finland, Sweden etc...

Edit

As others have stated many better options for a fun car, GTI is my daily and it fits the bill perfect, weekender is a 2016 Mazda MX-5 club w/ brembos and BBS wheels. That is what i call a fun car!

A2R

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks,

I have slightly modified the Miata to my taste, lowering springs, 20mm wheel spacers, open flash header, open flash tablet 93 octane tune and Invidia N1 cutback exhaust. So it’s quite loud but I love it! Right now I’m waiting on a E-85 tune and then the car will be nearly perfect for me, at least as far as street driving is concerned.

If I had to only have one car it would be the GTI, just a great jack of all trades, can be fun and sporty when needed but still refined enough to drive in everyday situations. Plus enough room for passengers kids or cargo. Really a great car and a stage 1 tune the wheels will be spinning until they hook up.

One other thing I don’t know because I never owned one but I’m sure you will get a lower mileage GTI than MK6 R which would factor in with the reliability and warranty related issues. Others can probably say from experience but it would seem to me the MK7s have been pretty reliable(knock on wood)