GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What year is the best value used mk7 now?

Vrrm11

Passed Driver's Ed
For mk7s, what year do you think is the best value for a used or CPO GTI now?

There is a balance: the older you go, the less expensive, but the higher chance of more costly repairs. And 2018 has the longer warranty (which is priced in).

I'm thinking a 2016 CPO might be a good balance...lots of depreciation but CPO still gives you 2/24 warranty.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion

There is a balance: the older you go, the less expensive, but the higher chance of more costly repairs. And 2018 has the longer warranty (which is priced in).

I'm thinking a 2016 CPO might be a good balance...lots of depreciation but CPO still gives you 2/24 warranty.

Probably 16 because you’d get CarPlay. I think that would be worth it over a 15...

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Remember that 2018s, while having a much better warranty, only get 1yr/12k additional with CPO. A 2017 and older will get 2/24.

I would go for a 2017 with ultra low mileage. Plenty of CPO examples out there with under 10k miles that were first registered in 2018. So you'll still get a great warranty, but at a much lower price than a 2018 with similar mileage.

I wouldn't go older than 2016, simply for lack of MIB-II and Carplay/AA.

Vrrm11

Passed Driver's Ed
Good point about only a 1/12 warranty on the 2018 CPO.

Makes a 2017 CPO look good with the 2/24 warranty.

Just seems like 2016 has a lot more depreciation...i guess it's whether that is worth the shorter warranty period. How much you want to roll the dice.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion

Just seems like 2016 has a lot more depreciation...i guess it's whether that is worth the shorter warranty period. How much you want to roll the dice.

Other than age, the 2016s and 2017s are fairly identical. The 2017 is pretty much a carryover of the 2016 with nothing significant changed. With the facelift in 2018 came a bunch of minor changes, LED DRLs and tails standard but also less content elsewhere. The base S 2018s have a seriously de-contented infotainment system. CD, HD radio, Sat and compass are gone. You need a higher trim to get these for 2018 while they were standard on all trims in 2016-2017. 2018 also started stripping little-known parts away like the hood insulation, full battery cover, insulation under the steering column, slide-out drawer under the driver's seat, illuminated overhead console buttons, A/C vented glove compartment, etc... things VW figured no one would ever know about or care.

So yeah, if you can get a 2016 with a lot more depreciation already, that could be a better deal than a 2017. But again, one key to maximizing the warranty is to check the Carfax to see when the car was first registered. Finding a 2016 that was bought mid 2017 might give you an extra 18 months over one that was bought in the beginning of 2016.

Vrrm11

Passed Driver's Ed
You're right, ideally an older 2016 is perfect from a warranty standpoint. Good tip on the carfax.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI

It will likely have the most depreciation and that will also likely be the greatest contributor to your cost of ownership for the first few years. You can probably find individual examples of different years that buck the trend, but in general I'd guess a '15 would be the best value.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

It will likely have the most depreciation and that will also likely be the greatest contributor to your cost of ownership for the first few years. You can probably find individual examples of different years that buck the trend, but in general I'd guess a '15 would be the best value.

2015s had issues with some batches. Also the updated MIB II infotainment in 2016s is a lot better than the one in 2015s and thats the reason most people suggest 2016s. The difference in price might be well worth it.

Oscar LaVista

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE 6MT

If I'm reading y'all right, I think you're mistaken. On a 17 you get 2/24 after the 3/36-5/50 runs out, so a total of 5/60-6/72. On an 18 you get 1/12 after the 6/72 runs out, which is 7/84.

VW.com said:
The warranty period begins when the New Vehicle Limited Warranty expires or on the sale date of the CPO VW vehicle, whichever occurs later.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
2015s had issues with some batches. Also the updated MIB II infotainment in 2016s is a lot better than the one in 2015s and thats the reason most people suggest 2016s. The difference in price might be well worth it.

Have there been TSBs or recalls issued on 2015s?

If the '16 and '15 were the same price I might throw a better Infotainment system into the mix of things to consider, but I wouldn't pay several thousand dollars more for it.

I still think the '15 is in general a better value.

TCdaosithui

Ready to race!
I believe you'd find best after 2-3 years with cars being returned from leases. I just got a CPO 2017 GTI S 6MT 2 months ago at $21,500 with only 6k miles at a dealership. The car was from another state (OR), and went through in-house (VW) auction.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if that's a value proposition. You can get a 2019 S for 25k and get better financing than a used car loan.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk