GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Soon to be new R owner!

new R Fan 2018

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
Very common problem for some reason, dealers forget to take them out. Your suspension will be unbearable if they are still in. Hard clunks, no give at all. To check, just jack the car up and look along the top of the struts and under the boots. They will look like little pink or blue hockey pucks on there. Plenty of threads on here about it, I recommend poking around on them so you know what to look for. Only takes a few minutes to check, but be careful if you're using the jack that comes with the car because that thing is a certified killer

Oh ok will do. So do MANY owners find them on still? This a very common occurence?

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Oh ok will do. So do MANY owners find them on still? This a very common occurence?

Unfortunately its widely common. Theres pages and pages of threads of people reporting this. Not saying it is a guarantee, but if you notice your suspension is rough, that should be your first thing you check

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Me either; I picked up a white 2018 R on 1/1/19 and it's my first VW. My local dealer did let me drive on which was nice of them because I kept hearing "we don't let customers test-drive the Golf R" over and over again.

And you had your share of issues on your new one. Imagine what can be wrong with a lightly used car especially with the new 7sp DSG with people mentioning about some dead pause they experienced during wider throttle input.

Unless it was a made to order only car, I would not buy a car without test driving the actual car I'm buying, but that is just me.

8hrs, I would just fly there with a one way ticket and Uber to the dealership and drive the car back. Bring a roll of painter's tape.

Evolved

Car(s)
124 Abarth 6MT
Congrats! I'm also looking into getting a used MK7.5 Golf R in the near future. Can I ask how much you paid for it? I'm currently keeping my eyes open for a used 2018 and would be nice to know what people are paying for them. Thanks! And enjoy the hell out of it!

new R Fan 2018

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
Congrats! I'm also looking into getting a used MK7.5 Golf R in the near future. Can I ask how much you paid for it? I'm currently keeping my eyes open for a used 2018 and would be nice to know what people are paying for them. Thanks! And enjoy the hell out of it!

It was $38,300 excluding T,T&T.

Brand New one would’ve been a good $5K more plus T,T,&T!

Good luck finding one that meets your specs. It took me a few months to find mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cool Hand Luke

Passed Driver's Ed
Ha! And it STILL looks fast!:D
It's fast. It's currently a full APR stage 2 right now. Threw all the Stage 2 APR goodies in. Kept the calipers stock though. I'm telling ya bro have it scanned. Test drive that beast right to the Volkswagen dealership to get scanned. You mentioned the warranty is the deal breaker and important to you. Only Volkswagen will know if it's tuned because the TD1 red flag will pop up meaning your warranty is no good bro. Chevy and all the rest don't have the feature in there diagnostic equipment. It's a V-dub thing. It's like 100 bucks and some change I believe but if you don't care about your warranty and want to mod and tune right away then forget it but if not the tune will void the turbo, engine, and possibly DSG. Engine is 11k, turbo is 3.4k, and DSG is 7.5k. just looking dude.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

new R Fan 2018

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
So if they DO find something that resembles “tune flash” will they just get rid of it and then the warranty will be OK?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
So if they DO find something that resembles “tune flash” will they just get rid of it and then the warranty will be OK?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They cannot.

Once your car is scanned, it goes to VW corporate who activates the TD1 on your VIN if a flash is found. Once that’s in there, the dealership cannot remove it and your drivetrain warranty is void. Now that’s not to say you can’t claim warranties on other parts - seats, trim pieces and such. But for whatever reason it gets flagged, and you break something related, it’s out of pocket.

Last edited:

new R Fan 2018

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R

It’s here!!! Just got delivered!! So much nicer in person. And this color!!

new R Fan 2018

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
Looks great! I love Lapiz Blue. I had a 2015 in that color though and "had" to get a different color when I got my 2018.

What,Red?

new R Fan 2018

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
Lol, I guess tapatalk doesn't show profile info on the left. :D

I went with Oryx White this time.

Sweet. The white against the black trim/wheels looks nice too!

Maybe I'll see yours around someday on the roads. Ever in Oviedo area? Are there many of us R owners here in Orlando area?