GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Soon to be new R owner!

new R Fan 2018

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
Have the Volkswagen dealership scan it to be safe or ask around for advice. Blessings to you and your car. Either way they rarely malfunction when tuned with stock turbo. These cars are strong [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Good to know, thx!

Will they scan it for free?

new R Fan 2018

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
Last edited:

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Good point. But from the engine bay pic/video he sent me I don't see anything other than OEM parts, unless there's a small ECU flash(i.e., Race chip) I don't see. The exhaust looks OEM too.

"Race chip", I haven't heard of those since OBD1 cars haha. ECU flashes aren't visible. Just a software update to the cars ECU. Unless there is a piggyback module like a JB4 or Neuspeed power module, you wouldn't see it until you have it scanned. Strange to me that it only has 6k after being re-sold. The minute you get the car, check to make sure the shipping pucks have been removed from the struts. I remember a thread about someone who bought a car that had multiple previous owners within like, a year, and it turns out the shipping pucks were still in which is likely why it was traded back to the dealer.

Luckyarmpit

Ready to race!
And you have never owned a VW GTI or R before?

Me either; I picked up a white 2018 R on 1/1/19 and it's my first VW. My local dealer did let me drive on which was nice of them because I kept hearing "we don't let customers test-drive the Golf R" over and over again.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Me either; I picked up a white 2018 R on 1/1/19 and it's my first VW. My local dealer did let me drive on which was nice of them because I kept hearing "we don't let customers test-drive the Golf R" over and over again.

My point is, you wont know if you truely like it until you have test drove it especially if you have never owned one before.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Also, it could have an elusive rattle or squeak. His local dealer won't spend much if any time looking for it. I would have flown in or rented a car to look at and drive it even if I was going to have it shipped to me.

new R Fan 2018

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
And you have never owned a VW GTI or R before?

Nope! My wife had a 2002 Jetta when we we got married. I always commented how well it was put together on the inside very solid compared to my Jap cars.

new R Fan 2018

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
Congrats! I'm in the Orlando area too. You'll see a few of us rolling around town. :cool:

Hey neighbor:)

I hardly EVER see R's around here. And not many Golfs for that matter. It'll be nice driving something rarely seen. (I'm in Oviedo actually)

Is the VW dealer on 50/408 good to work with as far as their svc. dept.? That'd be the closest to me for any issues might pop up. TY

new R Fan 2018

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
My point is, you wont know if you truely like it until you have test drove it especially if you have never owned one before.

Well I did drive my neighbor's '08 GTI when he got it and REALLY liked it! I'm pretty sure my '18 R WILL NOT disappoint!

new R Fan 2018

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
The minute you get the car, check to make sure the shipping pucks have been removed from the struts. I remember a thread about someone who bought a car that had multiple previous owners within like, a year, and it turns out the shipping pucks were still in which is likely why it was traded back to the dealer.

Why would they NOT be removed...dealer laziness? Would I notice anything different with the car while driving?

I can check myself if they're still on right?

Last edited:

Mother

Go Kart Newbie
Hey neighbor:)

I hardly EVER see R's around here. And not many Golfs for that matter. It'll be nice driving something rarely seen. (I'm in Oviedo actually)

Is the VW dealer on 50/408 good to work with as far as their svc. dept.? That'd be the closest to me for any issues might pop up. TY

I haven't visited that dealer's service dept before. The one on Lee Rd is closest to me and where I'll take mine when the first service comes due in a couple of months.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Why would they NOT be removed...dealer laziness? Would I notice anything different with the car while driving?

I can check myself if they're still on right?

Very common problem for some reason, dealers forget to take them out. Your suspension will be unbearable if they are still in. Hard clunks, no give at all. To check, just jack the car up and look along the top of the struts and under the boots. They will look like little pink or blue hockey pucks on there. Plenty of threads on here about it, I recommend poking around on them so you know what to look for. Only takes a few minutes to check, but be careful if you're using the jack that comes with the car because that thing is a certified killer