GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BMS Intercooler

rumbard1981

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI, Passat
Magic

luchin, I'm one of the few on here that had Magic and now IE. Only reason I switched was I came across the IE at a really low price. Thought it would be significantly better, but it wasn't. Magic is good, IE is good. Running IS20 still in the Texas heat. In summer with the AC on, the IE still gets 145-150F in traffic and cools when you go fast.

would you recommend the Magic- majesty intercooler?

ALE 5six1

Ready to race!
would you recommend the Magic- majesty intercooler?

There is a massive thread on here all about it. If you search for magic eBay intercooler. But yes, most recommend it, if you want the best bang for your buck and you are comfortable with having to modify it to fit.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
if you want the best bang for your buck and you are comfortable with having to modify it to fit.
It seems to be a coin flip on this, some people have had to modify their Magic/Majesty IC to fit and there have been some like me who have had no fitment issues.

Last edited:

rumbard1981

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI, Passat
Magic

It seems to be a coin flip on this, some people have had to modify their Magic IC to fit and there have been some like me who have had no fitment issues.

Thats good news to hear about yours....

did the magic make a big difference for your car?

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
did the magic make a big difference for your car?
In terms of IAT's yes, it did make a difference. Its nice especially in the summertime to be able to drive the car hard for extended periods without having heatsoak issues. Best part is I got it for the sweet price of $253USD shipped [emoji16]

Mother

Go Kart Newbie
In terms of IAT's yes, it did make a difference. Its nice especially in the summertime to be able to drive the car hard for extended periods without having heatsoak issues. Best part is I got it for the sweet price of $253USD shipped [emoji16]

Love those ebay coupon specials. :cool:

ALE 5six1

Ready to race!
It seems to be a coin flip on this, some people have had to modify their Magic/Majesty IC to fit and there have been some like me who have had no fitment issues.

That’s actually great news! Only person I’ve heard that from. At least there is a chance lol

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah exactly, I would have been furious if I paid double the price of the magic/majesty and had to deal with the same fitment problems. BMS need to fix this problem ASAP, and adding additional instructions on the website for people that have already purchased the poorly made casting, I feel, is not an acceptable way to resolve it. It’s a start, but they should do more for the people that purchased the incorrectly made intercoolers.

After some digging it looks like there are in fact two different radiators each with unique alignment tabs. While the BMS intercooler is compatible with both types one type has a minor alignment issue.

This problem area will look like the attached photo on some models when properly installed. No modification is needed and everything works fine like this. Of course if you choose you can modify the intercooler by using a dremel to open up the receptacle so the radiator slides in 1/4" but it's not required. The alignment tabs on the top are not meant to retain the radiator and you do not need to tap a retaining bolt.

Obviously an oversight was made with the intercooler perfectly fitting only a fraction of the cars out there, so to make it up to customers for this first batch the price has been lowered to $379. Customers who purchased directly from BMS can email them for a $120 refund. Customers who purchased from an authorized BMS dealer can contact BMS for a $120 store credit.

Although the mounting tab is an annoyance for sum this is absolutely one of the best performing intercooler cores you can run on the platform so the juice is worth the squeeze. :)

ic_tabs.jpg

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
George, you have one of the most pimp names I’ve ever seen, but I’d have to go with a fmic. I almost preferred to kill myself instead of finishing my smic on my mk6

Last edited:

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
So at this price ($379) I might just go for it. Although, I am also thinking of getting an ebay twintercooler. I wonder which performs better? The twintercooler offers an easier install which appeals to me, but might not perform as well.

The BMS seems like a quality unit on par with the Unitronic or APR offerings, aside from the minor fitment issues.

What’s the better choice for value/performance ratio?

AlienSP

Ready to race!
My IE looks like that too. Not an issue. At $379, that's like a beer at a baseball game. Go for it.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
So at this price ($379) I might just go for it. Although, I am also thinking of getting an ebay twintercooler. I wonder which performs better? The twintercooler offers an easier install which appeals to me, but might not perform as well.

The BMS seems like a quality unit on par with the Unitronic or APR offerings, aside from the minor fitment issues.

What’s the better choice for value/performance ratio?
In my opinion, except for the Magic/Majesty, the BMS is the best performance for the value.

eBay twintercooler will be cheaper and easier to install, probably won't perform as well but unless you are running big numbers it will be good enough.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk