GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake caliper clearence

videoguy009

Ready to race!
I am buying a Rabbit with the 225 40r18 Pretoria wheels.I have 205 55r16 rims and tires on my sportwagen.The tires are within the 3% spec for installation but I am wandering if the 16" Pretoria replicas will clear the standard brake calipers.There is a lot of clearance on my Sportwagen.I think the PP has the larger calipers which the rabbit doesn't have.

Vorne Au hinten Weh

Passed Driver's Ed
On the VW Canada website one can compare trims. For the 2019 it shows GTI versions have the same brakes. Which are identical to the Golf R brakes, i.e. 340 mm diameter up front and 310 mm diameter at the rear. Both vented. (They used to be called PP brakes when a PP could still be ordered separately. All 2019 GTIs come with what used to be the PP: high output engine, locking differential, large brakes.) Based on that 16" rims won't clear the front brakes it seems. A trial fit might still be worth while, I suppose. Congrats on buying a Rabbit! Still pondering that one to replace my 2015 GTI.

videoguy009

Ready to race!
Thanks.I went ahead and ordered the 18" Pretoria replicas.The 17" thing was too iffy.Ilooked at the Golf R in the showroom with 19" wheels and there was only about an inch and a half clearance.Too tight for a 17" I would think.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Thanks.I went ahead and ordered the 18" Pretoria replicas.The 17" thing was too iffy.Ilooked at the Golf R in the showroom with 19" wheels and there was only about an inch and a half clearance.Too tight for a 17" I would think.

Should have gone with 17's for winters. Cheaper tires and more sidewall.

If I wasn't using the OEM Brooklyn's as winters, I'd pick these up. Flow formed, ~16lbs!

https://pmctire.com/en/wheels/fastw...itane-17x8-0-5x112-offset-deport-45-57-1.tire