GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How is the autonomous braking on Golfs?

Vrrm11

Passed Driver's Ed
In my research I haven't been able to figure out if it will try to brake to a full stop and from what speed- or just slow the car down a little.

Avoiding an accident seems much better than just slowing down to a crash. As long as there aren't many false positives.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
Just an FYI, the 2016 received an advanced rating. From the looks of it, they likely tested the automatic braking system, which was noted as not tested in the 2018. I think the only difference between the systems is the location of the sensor.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
On my 2018 R, it seems to have worked fine every time it's been activated. However, I always hover my foot over the pedal anyway just in case.

There's supposed to be an upper limit at which it's not going to be effective like 35mph or so and above. Not sure what that speed is. But the ACC has worked fine and I've had the car stop when backing into my garage a bit faster than usual and it's stopped on its own.

So it seems to work well in my opinion.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I doubt it's changed form 2016, VW states 19 MPH is the max speed it can stop the car in time. IIRC, it only will do this if you don't have your foot on the brake pedal. The front radar on the 2018 is more powerful so it can detect pedestrians.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have an 18 SE and it works really good. The first time that I experienced it a car in front of me was making a U turn and I could see that he would be gone but my car didn't agree. It slammed on the brakes and made lots of scary noises and just stopped. I was going about 10 MPH.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
One day they'll work better but I don't think it will be soon. I haven't read where they're developing it inhouse, partnered with a tech company, or plan to buy the technology.

Cbell3186

Ready to race!
Works well from 50 mph from what I can tell. Came up on a guy really fast just sitting at a stale green light, I know the limits of braking with the car but I guess my R didn't like how little I was giving it brakes when I came up on him. I would have stopped just fine (same amount of swearing) but it kicked in a little early to let me know to do a little more next time.