GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How do you guys trap 110+ on the IS20?

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
You're gonna get me in trouble here, but this is kinda why I do like sticking with Apr. (This does not apply to other ots companies). Before this rant I would like to point out the is20 and 38 records are on Apr cars. But if you read this forum that map seems to be a can of no good, dirty, rotten horse shit that will blow your engine, turbo, flip you off and bang your sister.. all at the same time..

1) APR has more tuning and research resources than all of the other tuners combine, second only to vw. The reason APR cars feel faster than cars with even more timing and similar boost is that they have done some cam actuation and EGT wizardry that even some of the best protuners do not do. There's more to real mapping than just upping the boost and throwing as much timing as you can at it ;) Not all companies have actually cracked simos themselves and are instead using programs like maestro or Cobb .

2) APR maps are boost heavy, low timing. They let the ecu torque targeting work WITH the map rather than against it. Like I said, there's more to it than just boost and timing levels. My is20 put down 352/416 sae on 6-8* of timing advance and 27.5psi. Protuned ethanol guys are running double that timing with even more boost. Yet I've out trapped alot of them. Maybe there's more than meets the eye? ;) xD
this is so far from the truth.

I tuned the IS20 record car on Eurodyne (118mph 11.5 1/4), and the IS38 record car is from Josh on Eurodyne (11.1 @ 122).

DA and methanol (cylinder cooling, not so much detonation resistance) are going to have an influence on trap speed along with shift patterns. You can gain 2-3mph by shifting earlier at the expense of ET on the IS20. This is coming from someone who has made like 200+ passes in his own car on like 4 turbo setups in 6mt, along with tuning 50+ MQB cars on 8+ setups. :)

I am not going to start saying records and stuff also, but I went 122.5mph on literally 100% pump gas. No methanol, ethanol or anything in my 6mt, Is38. The APR cars were doing 116-118.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie

I tuned the IS20 record car on Eurodyne (118mph 11.5 1/4), and the IS38 record car is from Josh on Eurodyne (11.1 @ 122).

DA and methanol (cylinder cooling, not so much detonation resistance) are going to have an influence on trap speed along with shift patterns. You can gain 2-3mph by shifting earlier at the expense of ET on the IS20. This is coming from someone who has made like 200+ passes in his own car on like 4 turbo setups in 6mt, along with tuning 50+ MQB cars on 8+ setups. :)

I am not going to start saying records and stuff also, but I went 122.5mph on literally 100% pump gas. No methanol, ethanol or anything in my 6mt, Is38. The APR cars were doing 116-118.

No where did I say Apr tunes hold a candle to custom mapping. Looking at it now across the board (excluding the protuners) APR stacked cars or APR tunes hold all the ots records.

I'm talking about the off the shelf tunes. There is no comparison between Apr and a real maestro tuner. OP was wanting to get more power and I was pointing out that there is more than just timing and boost levels to trap speed.

Last edited:

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
No where did I say Apr tunes hold a candle to custom mapping. So apparently since everything I said is "far from the truth" you wanna give me some specifics of what is incorrect and politely use facts to prove wrong? Looking at it now across the board (excluding the protuners) APR stacked cars or APR tunes hold all the ots records.

I'm talking about the off the shelf tunes. There is no comparison between Apr and a real maestro tuner. OP was wanting to get more power and I was pointing out that there is more than just timing and boost levels to trap speed.
The second fastest IS20 was Giac (OTS) at 11.6 @ 117.
The APR IS38 file is not that quick - but that doesn't mean it is bad.
APR knows way more than I do. More than UM. More than GIAC. They have a ton of money and great engineers. All you are doing with any tune (especially in MQB land) is balancing risk versus reward. That's it, that's all. You ideally want to find someone (tuner or software company) that gives you the best balance of both that has seen the widest spectrum of circumstances and has worked on them all successfully.

I am personally but a drop in the ocean, but since I have worked on a ton of cars with a ton of different setups I have decent knowledge on what works and doesn't.

Wasn't trying to be rude, just stating the facts.

CFGTI

Passed Driver's Ed

Interesting thanks for the info. I wasn't sure how much methanol would help if I was already knock free on e30. Your saying it will be significant/worth it?

Well I'm at sea level so my DA is never super terrible. Humidity does run high though even if it cool out for FL like 55-60F. I did notice my traps increased about 0.5 mph each of the 4 runs topping at 108.5 from about 107. So maybe the DA improved as the night went on.

I'm DSG I let it shift at stock redline/shift point in first to use the gearing advantage. 6.7k about. Then about 6.2k into 3rd and 4th. Is there better shift points you suggest? I also waste a lot of power spinning on the stock tires...

CFGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
6cyl timing=1

Keep an eye on afr

Thanks George never mentioned I could do that. I'll ask him about it. Trims are already 45ish....

Already surprised how lean these cars run WOT in the 12.5-13.5 range. On ever other platform I've ever had you where 11.5-12.0. Even my BRZ which is DI and was boosted.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Interesting thanks for the info. I wasn't sure how much methanol would help if I was already knock free on e30. Your saying it will be significant/worth it?

Well I'm at sea level so my DA is never super terrible. Humidity does run high though even if it cool out for FL like 55-60F. I did notice my traps increased about 0.5 mph each of the 4 runs topping at 108.5 from about 107. So maybe the DA improved as the night went on.

I'm DSG I let it shift at stock redline/shift point in first to use the gearing advantage. 6.7k about. Then about 6.2k into 3rd and 4th. Is there better shift points you suggest? I also waste a lot of power spinning on the stock tires...

Shift upper 5ks.