GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spray bottle for wheel cleaner?

jbm119

Ready to race!
Hello.
I am using Meguiar's Wheel Brightner D140 that come in a gallon jar.
First, I used spray bottle that I got from Amazon which failed after second wash.
Then I got one from Lowes that stated it is chemical resistant but again failed after second use.
I dilute 3 to 1 ratio since I get a lot of brake dust as you guys all know.
Do you have any recommendation?
I am thinking about getting one from Mequires that has label printed on it next time I need cleaner, but meantime I need bottle that will last more than two washes.
Oh, it is acid base cleaner.
Thanks for your suggestion.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I just remove the nozzle from the spray bottle after I'm done using it. I use Poorboys wheel cleaner...and so far...its killed three spray nozzles. I'll remove and rinse the nozzle after using it.

Last edited:

Sport17

Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Yep, pull the nozzle out, dip the intake tube in your wash bucket and spray it until water comes out to flush the acid cleaner. Any general purpose sprayer will last significantly longer that way. I like the wide mouth sprayers from Walmart.

ack_attack

Passed Driver's Ed
IMHO, Simple Green works great as a wheel cleaner. I’ve used it on wheels for at least 15 years.

At full strength, it’s pH is 9.0 (mild base, not acid), mixed 1:1 with distilled water is even milder base, and its non-toxic.

Mix 1:1 in you favorite cheap spray bottle. Spray on, let it sit 30-60 seconds, don’t let it dry completely. Hose it off, wipe with clean blue shop towels, repeat if needed.

I bought a Boxster S with wheel barrels that were absolutely BLACK with brake dust. Took a couple of applications, but they now look like new.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I don't use Simple Green to clean wheels but I do use it in a generic spray bottle as a general cleaner. Agree that there is no issue with deterioration of the nozzle itself. Been using the same nozzle for over 5yrs.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
Try Chemical Guys, Their bottles last with their wheel cleaner which is also harsh

jbm119

Ready to race!
I should give a shot with Zep and HDX sprayer from my local Home Depot. I am looking for general cleaner/degreaser as well so I will grab Simply Green and give a try. Thanks for all the help!!!

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
The HDX/Pesticide style sprayer IMO is best for wheels. The wand gets way more coverage to the entire wheel well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Try Chemical Guys, Their bottles last with their wheel cleaner which is also harsh

I second Chemical Guys professional heavy duty spray bottles. Have had more luck with them than any other brand of sprayer.

Every Zep sprayer I've bought had either an inconsistent/poor spray pattern or would leak at the trigger or both.