GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTI - regular or premium gas??

Tsi7

Ready to race!
Does it really matter if some people want to discuss something over again. Those who don’t can look at another thread. Controlling a forum is like herding cats. If I choose to waste my time talking about the same old that’s ok, no one else has to.

That's not the point I was trying to make. These repetative threads lead to useless misinformation and armchair opinions which can also lead to senseless insults and bans (for good and bad reasons).

Anyways, I just thought a sticky would be more beneficial, that's all. Y'all have it, I'll tune in next week when the next thread pops up :D

Jdreg

Ready to race!
That's not the point I was trying to make. These repetative threads lead to useless misinformation and armchair opinions which can also lead to senseless insults and bans (for good and bad reasons).

Anyways, I just thought a sticky would be more beneficial, that's all. Y'all have it, I'll tune in next week when the next thread pops up :D

I have to agree on the misinformation on this subject. With all the available info these days we can still run with old wives tales

IVDUB1

I tried a tank of top tier 87 in my 16 GTI and my car started knocking in low speed high gear acceleration. Switched back to premium and it went away.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
I tried a tank of top tier 87 in my 16 GTI and my car started knocking in low speed high gear acceleration. Switched back to premium and it went away.

I’m sorry but that’s makes no sense. Our cars have knock sensors which retard the timing before you even hear anything. The result is slightly less power and efficiency.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
If shell regular is top tier, which meets the manufacturers standards, it will keep the engine clean. How can it get five times cleaner than clean. Just my opinion, marketing hype.

Umm, it sounds like you're saying if you run 87 top tier your engine will always be clean as a given? Way too many variables that can create carbon build up inside the engine, and running 87 top tier doesn't automatically clean your engine to the point that nothing could possibly make it cleaner. That's simply not close to being true.

DaBigDogg

My .02 cents? If the cost was the same, premium 93 every day. But when my local stations have a 66 cent difference between 87 and 93; it's a significant cost factor. On an 11 gallons fill up, it's a little over $7 a tank extra. I gas up once a week at least. Is paying an extra $375 a year worth it for me for some extra power? Not really. If I was tuned, I can understand paying to play; but for a commuting car with a little extra oomph? I'll stick with regular for now.

Jdreg

Ready to race!
Umm, it sounds like you're saying if you run 87 top tier your engine will always be clean as a given? Way too many variables that can create carbon build up inside the engine, and running 87 top tier doesn't automatically clean your engine to the point that nothing could possibly make it cleaner. That's simply not close to being true.

Would the oem top tier specifications be less than what’s required to keep the engine clean. That would mean most of the engines using 87 would be pretty dirty. I don’t think they are.