GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Splitters, spoilers and diffusers

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
I only know of verus engineerings actually being functional. And its pretty expensive

The rest are for looks afaik

Jdreg

Ready to race!
I guess even if there could be benefit it would be pretty rare to go fast enough to actually engage it. If at all, it would be on a track. All the areo effect on an f1 car doesn’t work well until they’re at or close to max speeds.

Last edited:

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
inb4 opinion based arguments!

MY version of the answer is - some improve aero, not all. Some improve looks, not all. Usually there is an inverse relationship between the two

Video showing that spoilers on a FWD can actually be useful. Take it for what its worth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ind0kAajBKM

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I'd be willing to wager that there is a 50/50 split on improve/harm aerodynamics.

no info/proof just gut feelings.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I'd be willing to wager that there is a 50/50 split on improve/harm aerodynamics.

no info/proof just gut feelings.
Aerodynamics is a two way street: you harm one thing while improving another. In fact, it's silly to ask "does it improve aerodynamics?". One needs to know exactly what aspect of aero he wants improved, and then push off from there.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Aerodynamics is a two way street: you harm one thing while improving another. In fact, it's silly to ask "does it improve aerodynamics?". One needs to know exactly what aspect of aero he wants improved, and then push off from there.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

A splitter if functional would reduce drag.
We used to call them air dams.

D

Deleted member 137012

Short answer: Yes, but probably not in a way that is worth the money. It’s expensive and unless you’re on a racetrack it’s probably not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I don't want to improve anything. just curious if they had any real effect.

I think to some degree they do...but it's probably up in the air if you can actually tell a difference.

There are a few legit track prepped Mk7's out there...and if you look at the lip spoilers and rear wings...they are really big compared to what's being installed into street cars.