GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Options for adding aftermarket forward collision alert?

Vrrm11

Passed Driver's Ed
I see some dashcams have this. Are they just toys?

On the high end I hear Mobileye mentioned a lot.

Any experiences or recommendations?

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
TBH I wouldn't go with an aftermarket company for this. I'm sure car companies spend a lot more on R&D for their systems as it goes on hundreds of thousands of cars and every company is trying to one-up the competition. Forward alert, automatic braking, lane assist etc...
I've also never seen a need for forward collision alert... because... you know, I'm driving and I pay attention to whats in front of me.

Vrrm11

Passed Driver's Ed
Agreed aftermarket will never match built in.

I'm thinking more about upgrading an older car. And I'm talking specifically about forward collision alert.

Also some cars don't have it available new. I've been looking at Civic Si manuals - no advanced safety.

And to get DAP on GTIs means an extra expensive package and trim.

Attentive driving and advanced safety also don't need to be mutually exclusive. Seems to me having both is ideal.

Here's mobileye: https://www.mobileye.com/en-us/technology/features/

Vrrm11

Passed Driver's Ed
I think mobileye is about $600 plus installation.

I don't know much about it, was asking here if anyone did or knew if other options like it.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I think mobileye is about $600 plus installation.

I don't know much about it, was asking here if anyone did or knew if other options like it.

Looking at their website, it seems awesome. That being said it seems awesome when connected to the vehicle in a manor to automatically apply brakes or what have you. As a aftermarket install, it only warns you with a visual and auditory cue. So as long as you are an attentive driver, it doesn't really help.