GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB1 on 87 octane?

Vrrm11

Passed Driver's Ed
Does anyone know roughly what hp/tq gains would be expected over stock with a JB1 on a Golf 1.8 running 87 octane?

Last edited:

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Does anyone know roughly what hp/tq gains would be expected over stock with a JB1 on a Golf 1.8 running 87 octane?

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Is that even safe to do? Seems like the engine will retard timing due to not enough octane (maybe defeating the purpose of installing a JB1).

JB1 creates more power by increasing boost. The difference between regular gas and premium gas is low/higher octane. Octane represents fuel's resistance to burning, or its flash point. 87 octane will burn more easily/has a lower flash point than 91+ octane fuel. When you increase pressure (which is what the JB1 does), temperatures rise as well, leading to an increased likelihood of preignition when running low octane 87 fuel.

In other words, if you want more power, you cannot have your cake and eat it too with respect to shitty fuel. If you're willing to spend a few hundred on a piggyback to increase power, be willing to spend the extra $5/tank on premium. Shit I'm stock and I use premium.

DAS_STIG

Banned

Vrrm11

Passed Driver's Ed
I just heard from Burger. George wrote:

Adjust the value of boost safety down to 4.0 and it will run safety on 87oct. The map as it ships is set to 91 but we have many customer now on both JB1 and JB4 that we have set custom settings for 87.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
You're a stock GTI, so you should be using premium.

Ideally but 87 is the recommended minimum from VW and is perfectly safe on the stock tune.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Ideally but 87 is the recommended minimum from VW and is perfectly safe on the stock tune.

Look, we want you to express yourself, okay? Now if you feel that the bare minimum is enough, then okay. But some people choose to use higher octane and we encourage that, okay?

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
You know what, I do want to express myself, okay. And I don't need 37 pieces of flair to do it.

cuda2000

Car(s)
2017 Golf SW 4motion
Anybody have any actual experiences running 87 with jb1? Especially on a 1.8. Thanks.
I have a 2017 Golf sportwagen 4motion 1.8 stock turbo with jb1 since 5,000 miles and it has 16,000 now. I ran it or 2 tanks of gas on 87 octane at +3 map1 just to see what it was like and it ran fine, with a little more pep but nothing like 93 octane map 6 at +5.5. For 2 months I turned it off (map 0) while i taught my 16 yr old daughter to drive. Now I have it back to map 6 and 93 octane. My only issue, is that with the boost cranked up, once in a while at slow speed (25 mph), when I let off the gas I get a very loud squawk noise from the turbo area. It almost is as loud as a tire squeal. That can't be good?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Vrrm11

Passed Driver's Ed
Would you say a jb1 would be worth it on 87 only? From your few weeks of running it that way was it still noticeable enough?

Thanks.

cuda2000

Car(s)
2017 Golf SW 4motion
Would you say a jb1 would be worth it on 87 only? From your few weeks of running it that way was it still noticeable enough?

Thanks.
It would need logging to figure out if the computer was retarding timing or not. I have not done any logging. It does not make sense to increase boost just to have it knock/ping and then the computer retards the timing back to stock. Is it worth $400 to screw around with? Nah. But I only paid $250 For used jb1, so I mess with it when I have time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk