DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
eBay.

Last edited:

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Off-topic slightly, but for any of you who have observed oil seepage around the oil cap, have you also smelled it? Did you get seepage onto the exhaust manifold? I was getting a hot oil smell emanating from the engine bay after parking the car with a fully warmed engine. It would also enter the cabin from the fresh air duct when I'd be idling at a traffic light. The dealer replaced the cap, cleaned up the seepage, and the smell is about 90% gone.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
That must’ve been pretty bad. No, mine never seeped enough to burn and smell. I got a new VW cap a few weeks ago myself, much different design than the original that I had. Seepage is completely gone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slick99

Ready to race!
That must’ve been pretty bad. No, mine never seeped enough to burn and smell. I got a new VW cap a few weeks ago myself, much different design than the original that I had. Seepage is completely gone!

Can you post the picture of new design VW cap?

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Let me see if I can remember to take a picture. IIRC it is yellow on the underside now and snaps in much more tightly.

Calkulin

Ready to race!
I'm guessing you're talking about this one. I've seen people say that they still leak, just not as much

06K 103 485 C

Ramon64124

Drag Racing Champion
Wouldn't having a air leak at the head cause power loss issues? If the seal wasn't 100% I would think it would make a difference.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I bought these O Rings and slipped one on in the ledge of the cap. Seals up perfectly, you can even feel the small resistance when closing the cap letting you know its mating up properly. No more oil seepage, feels like its made how it should have come.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
I bought these O Rings and slipped one on in the ledge of the cap. Seals up perfectly, you can even feel the small resistance when closing the cap letting you know its mating up properly. No more oil seepage, feels like its made how it should have come.

Purchased. Thanks!

People909

Ready to race!
So I check under my hood on a regular basis and the other day I noticed oil around the oil cap. Everything was on securely, so I decided to just clean it off and keep an eye on it. Checked again today and it is back.

Any one else experiencing this? I'm thinking I might have a bad gasket there or something. I might just replace the oil cap and see if it returns

Any opinions?
Happened to me too hoe

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
Last edited: