GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wiring up trailer lights

RedReplicant

Ready to race!
Hey guys, I did some searching and couldn't find anyone that actually posted what trailer light controller you need or what wires you need. Here it goes,

I ordered this:
https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit.../Golf/2016/119190KIT.html?vehicleid=201631034

It's a Modulite HD 119190.

Mount it on the driver side behind the paneling in the hatch.

Put a ring connector on the red wire, then take it and the white wire that comes with a ring connector already on it and mount it to the ground behind the paneling.

The green wire goes to the passenger side, connect it to the bottom wire on the tail light pigtail. I believe it's black with a pink tracer or something, NOT the brown one (ground) or the gray/blue one (brake / running light).

The yellow wire goes to the black with a red tracer on the drivers side tail light pigtail, this is the turn signal.

The brown wire goes to the gray and blue wire on the driver side tail, this is both brake and running light.

I ran my power to the included fuse and then spliced into the cigarette lighter on the passenger rear.

The trailer harness ran out the grommit on the drivers side hatch floorpan right below where you should be mounting the lighting controller.

Good luck guys. No one else posted this verbatim and I'm sure some have questions since our taillights are multiplexed.

On a side note, I have the Curt hitch. The exhaust vibrates on it and hits it sometimes, and you need a large rise to tow the normal 17" height trailer. I'm personally using a 5" rise and I would like another inch or so, but good luck finding a class 1 ball mount that does that. Also, be careful about the ball mount length, anything under like 6" will hit the bumper.

Last edited:

MikeGmk7

Thanks for this post. I have been looking at what's available and I called e-trailer to question why they don't list the 119190 as compatible with the GTI. The woman said that "It doesn't have the proper protections" and said that I needed to use the 119250KIT instead, which is TWICE as expensive ($144 vs $70 for the 119190KIT.)

My gut feeling is that my GTI with no lighting package is exactly the same as a regular Golf in this regard. Opinions?

MikeGmk7

OK it's done. Great notes you have here...spot on.

Only thing I notice of any concern is the lead to the power outlet in the trunk is much smaller gauge than the wire they supplied, which would otherwise connect directly to the battery. Can it handle the load? (I'm an admitted electrical goober.)

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
OK it's done. Great notes you have here...spot on.

Only thing I notice of any concern is the lead to the power outlet in the trunk is much smaller gauge than the wire they supplied, which would otherwise connect directly to the battery. Can it handle the load? (I'm an admitted electrical goober.)

If you splice a wire onto a another wire that's a lighter gauge, you better make sure the included fuse is designed for the lighter wire. Otherwise, your fears will probably come true. In the "old days" I used fusable link wire when I could. Takes longer to replace but you knew exactly which circuit overheated by the smoke. It was standard on certain circuits on my C4.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Flawlessly. More than enough power and brakes, suspension handles it fine. Good gas mileage. I swapped from using a Dodge Ram 1500 and doubled my tow mileage.

RedReplicant: To be fair, your rig (in the picture) shouldn't add much load to the car.
I've been towing an 8' x 5' trailer with my mk7 for about 3 years now. Had everything from large furniture to half a cubic meter of wet sand (about 1,000 lbs weight - wouldn't recommend anything more). The 103 TSI engine and 7 speed DSG gearbox has handled it with no problems at all!!

Don

RedReplicant

Ready to race!
RedReplicant: To be fair, your rig (in the picture) shouldn't add much load to the car.
I've been towing an 8' x 5' trailer with my mk7 for about 3 years now. Had everything from large furniture to half a cubic meter of wet sand (about 1,000 lbs weight - wouldn't recommend anything more). The 103 TSI engine and 7 speed DSG gearbox has handled it with no problems at all!!

Don

That's not all the trailer normally has on it, add my other bike, a TTR125 supermoto as my pit bike, ramp, gas, etc. ;) I'm not surprised, these things are great.

alemk7gti

Ready to race!
Does anyone know if I can tow a jetski(seadoo 2009 gtx155) with my 2016 gti dsg? I read somewhere that DSGs shouldn't be towing at all? Anyone know how true that Is? The weight of the jetski is at 795 pounds dry weight. I went ahead and ordered towing hitch from etrailer for my mk6 2.5 golf to tow it with the golf, but also would like to know if it would be safe to tow it with the gti due to DSG concerns.