GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Most annoying thing about your GTI

MikeGmk7

Bought my 4D S in April. Here's a list:

1) Car had a god awful creak in the roof. The dealer fixed it, but it required pulling the headliner out and I lost about half of the "new car smell" when I got it back. The kid doing the work smelled like gasoline, and so after about a week my car just smelled like a car....not like my first brand new car since 1989.

2) The front doors. I don't like how the detents are arranged, where the first place the door stops is not enough to use for exit or entry, but the next detent is almost 90 degrees open. It's a big reach to get the door handle when it's all the way open, and why have a detent for "all the way open?" How about one for about 65-70% open?

3) Yeah, the buffeting is pretty strong and the aerodynamic "fix" of cracking other windows is a precision affair.

4) The light feeling to all the controls. Sometimes I like this, sometimes it feels too much like an economy car. Either way, I know it hauls ass, but it's just a perception thing.

5) Headlights could be brighter/better (I did not get the lighting package.)

BUT, BY FAR THE WORST THING IS: This thing is so damn good in so many ways it completely spoils me for other cars!!!!! Fast, excellent gas mileage, cargo room, excellent bluetooth, long haul comfortable seats....I could go on all day with the stuff VW got right on this car.

Enjoy!

Mike

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Door armrest is really far away from my body. I have to bend my arm in an awkward position to be able to use it. Where-as my other VW, I can place my elbow on the door armrest rather easily.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Four door version. I wish there was another door stop somewhere between the first and last one. First stop is too short and I can barely get out of the car (and I'm small), but the last one swings the door super far which is a concern in tight parking Atlanta.

TonWah

Ready to race!
Maybe it's just me, and it's not a big deal, just slightly annoying. But I find that a lot of times if i'm trying to use the auto roll up/down on the windows at the same time, one window or the other will sometimes stop as the other automatically goes down, even though you pushed/pulled the switch an equal amount.

Yup. I get this too. It's like you have to really push/pull the switch to get the auto to work.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Yup. I get this too. It's like you have to really push/pull the switch to get the auto to work.
Indeed!

Really requires a bit more force than my mk6 Golf.

I consider that a good thing for when I just want to crack the windows :)

TonWah

Ready to race!
Indeed!

Really requires a bit more force than my mk6 Golf.

I consider that a good thing for when I just want to crack the windows :)

True, I do like that I can crack the windows easily, but now when I dive my wife's Mazda 6 I end up auto rolling them instead of cracking them haha.

akj27

Reversing. I feel like I have to really step on it for the car to actually start moving, but then most of the time I step too much and the car won't reverse smoothly. Maybe it's just me but I've never had this issue with other cars.

8kGoodEnuff

Ready to race!
Just FYI, I believe the heated mirrors turn themselves off after a set amount of time or once they reach a certain temperature, I can't remember which. That way they don't continually waste energy or get too hot. And it makes it easier to just leave the switch on and not worry about it.

Good point on the HVAC selector. I never thought about this but all the clicks do seem pointless!

Yeah... I knew they turn OFF but just the thought of having something on when it doesn't have to be doesn't seem right to me.

I believe the rear defrost is also the same... turns OFF after some time. I don't know, but to me it would have made more sense to have the mirror and rear defrost in the same location on the center dash.

yo_marc

Ready to race!
^ I agree.. that knob for the mirror-defrost is cumbersome and not intuitive.

I leave mine at 12:00 unless I need it... so I'd rather have a simple button too.

8kGoodEnuff

Ready to race!
Bought my 4D S in April. Here's a list:

2) The front doors. I don't like how the detents are arranged, where the first place the door stops is not enough to use for exit or entry, but the next detent is almost 90 degrees open. It's a big reach to get the door handle when it's all the way open, and why have a detent for "all the way open?" How about one for about 65-70% open?

Forgot about this one about the door stops... this is a good one and quite annoying.

Another one I thought of... the reverse lights are pretty much pointless when trying to actually use them to see. They provide hardly any light at all... at least not enough to reverse comfortably.

yo_marc

Ready to race!
I just recently read in the manual that the door stops are intentionally designed that way. The area where there is no detent, the door is supposed to stay where you leave it. Its supposed to be a feature. (insert confused smiley)

I never took it that way. Always wished there was an extra detent.

My biggest complaint today is the head-rest / head-restraints. They seem to be too far forward. The GTI seats are awesome, but I find it hard to get comfortable because I have to sacrifice seating position to get my head off and away from those rests. They literally only feel comfortable if I actually put my head against them.

Festivus1

Passed Driver's Ed
Regarding the Bluetooth volume being lower than the other sources, today I noticed that although it starts off quiet so that you have to dial up to the point that the red volume bar on the screen is half-filled to be able to hear it, you can in fact keep increasing volume after the red bar is completely filled.

Yeah I'm a newbie and still learning things every day, having a ball with the GTI.

Still cannot figure out the source of the loud click though... :confused: