GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Windshield Saint-Gobain with light/rain sensor

pantsos

Ready to race!
I have a cracked windshield and I’m looking to replace it with Saint Gobain instead of that crap quality from Mexico that breaks if you sneeze on it.

Any idea how can I find the part number that fits on MK7 with light/rain sensor?

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
The stock windshield meets VW specs so if you don't like it blame the specs not the country of assembly. And maybe the stock windshields are not made in Mexico. I don't know for certain.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
When I had cracked glass on my MK7 GTI the glass place replaced it with a non-OE (my windshield was leaking water and OE glass would take a couple of days to be delivered) and the contour of the glass did not match the back of the rear view mirror base.

I suggest you get OEM to be certain... I ended up having the glass replaced twice due to this ending up with the OEM one.

pantsos

Ready to race!
When I had cracked glass on my MK7 GTI the glass place replaced it with a non-OE (my windshield was leaking water and OE glass would take a couple of days to be delivered) and the contour of the glass did not match the back of the rear view mirror base.

I suggest you get OEM to be certain... I ended up having the glass replaced twice due to this ending up with the OEM one.

Saint Gobain is OEM for VW in Europe. So i don't think i'll have any issue. I just need to find the part number that fits with my sensors

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
The stock windshield meets VW specs so if you don't like it blame the specs not the country of assembly. And maybe the stock windshields are not made in Mexico. I don't know for certain.

This has been discussed before. The Mexican-sourced OEM front glass on our MK7s is in fact pretty crappy. My 14 month old GSW with less tan 10k miles already has more pits than previous windshields after 50k miles. I even scratched it with an ice scraper.

Others have sourced Saint-Gobain OEM replacements that they claim have been superior.

Here's the thread I'm remembering: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40989

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I believe i found it. With light and rain sensor is 5G0845011ACNVB and for ST-GOBAIN is 8618AGACMVWZ2P

Nope.

First off, that's for a Variant Golf, second it's for PR Code QK1 (camera/distance sensor) rather than just a rain/light sensor.

It also seems to be from the Japanese market judging by PR Code ER5.

RSLICK

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7.5 Autobahn DSG
I am on my third OEM windshield. The last two replacements were due to speckles(hundreds) imbedded in the glass. You only notice them when the sun shines directly into the glass, and then they look like tiny glistening diamonds, and are very distracting. Both replacements were made under warranty at about 3K, to my dealer's/VW credit. But, the speckles are still in the last replacement. I gave up. I would make a real effort to get non OEM.

RSLICK

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7.5 Autobahn DSG
On the last windshield two service techs held the glass up to the sun. It was an awkward experience as the windshield was dirty and they gave me a rag to wipe off the dirt while being held. But, there was grease on the rag and it smeared it. I got some clean rags and cleaner and cleaned it off, best I could. When i looked through again I could see some speckles, but I was worn down by it all, and it appeared there was less, so I gave the go ahead to install. Well, there probably is less, but this is not clear glass. I had one glass shop look at it and the owner said he has never seen anything like it in 30 years in the industry.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
51,500mi on the factory windshield.

Sure it's not the best quality, but I would definitely replace it with Pilkington or SGS glass rather than OE Vitro if it broke tomorrow.

Slipstream

loweritonh&rsports.com
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Is Pilkington considered good quality? I know they're an OEM supplier (although not the OEM supplier for US market GTIs) but are they a quality "aftermarket" replacement?

The local dealer will install a Pilkington replacement for $425, and an "OEM" windshield for $700+.

I would eat the extra cost if I could confirm it's a Saint-Gobain, but the dealer just tells me it's "the OEM windshield." I'm not paying an extra $300 for another Vitro unit.