GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

looking for a Golf R, what year to buy?

xav_dude

I'm relocating to Montreal soon and will be on the market for a used Golf R. I've searched for updates that this model received throughout the years but could not find something really useful.

What year would you recommend? I'd like to buy one with an existing warranty, if I'm not mistaken the default factory bumper to bumper warranty is 4 years. Would an extended warranty be any good? I'm assuming that repairs must be quite costly but I'm not too aware of the reliability of this vehicle.

Any significant differences between 2016, 2017 and 2018 years? I have a small preference for a DSG model but 6 speed manual could work out as well.

McCabe89

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Evo X & Golf R
Considering how awful the roads and drivers are in Montreal I would only be considering a 17-18 DSG if I were you.

tyler420Gti

I'm relocating to Montreal soon and will be on the market for a used Golf R. I've searched for updates that this model received throughout the years but could not find something really useful.

What year would you recommend? I'd like to buy one with an existing warranty, if I'm not mistaken the default factory bumper to bumper warranty is 4 years. Would an extended warranty be any good? I'm assuming that repairs must be quite costly but I'm not too aware of the reliability of this vehicle.

Any significant differences between 2016, 2017 and 2018 years? I have a small preference for a DSG model but 6 speed manual could work out as well.

Im going to be selling my 2017 MK7 R with tech pack in the next couple weeks if youre interested. Its 6MT with 47k

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
2018/2019 DSG should be around $40k in Quebec. Buy a 7.5 R

No regrets from me. I would’ve regretted if I bought a 7!

I'm the opposite. I dislike the 7.5 front bumper and the virtual cockpit; would choose a 7 over the 7.5 all the time. But then again, I like analogue things.

I have a 16 R and I believe it's has the least amount of issues compared to the rest of the years, 18 notwithstanding because it's new.

Custom441

Car(s)
2015 GTI Autobahn
Sounds like it's a bit older than what you're looking for, but there's a 2012 R 6sp manual for sale at Cornwall VW, which is relatively close to Montreal. It has 66,800km and it's perfectly clean inside and out; the previous owner babied it. It's bone stock and comes with winter tires & rims. Dealership just put new brakes all around. They're asking $24,995, you can check it out on their website.

I test drove it. It's a beautiful car.

MontrealJoker1

I'm the opposite. I dislike the 7.5 front bumper and the virtual cockpit; would choose a 7 over the 7.5 all the time. But then again, I like analogue things.

I have a 16 R and I believe it's has the least amount of issues compared to the rest of the years, 18 notwithstanding because it's new.

This is a personal choice as I prefer the front bumper and other changes on my 7.5 because to me it looks more aggressive in an already understated car. Also the digital cockpit is great and gives the vehicle a more cutting edge interior feel. But you did mention your an analog guy and I am a digital dude ;)