GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Low dust PP Pads

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I bought from rockauto.com last June.

Tire Rack has them all!

Thanks guys. I was filtering by Stop-tech, not Centric. Some days my brain doesn't work well and apparently yesterday was one of them

sectachrome

Passed Driver's Ed
Last week I needed to replace the front Brake pads and Rotors on my 2016 GTi SE W/ PP at 66K miles.
I avoided the OEM ( Extremely Dusty Brakes ) and bought what the Repair shop recommended. I saved $ 100.oo in the process. My impression after one week is, I am now getting about 2 mpg greater gas mileage over what I had getting before the front brake replacement.

ALRGTi

Please tell us about these brake pads that give you better gas mileage

ALRGTi

Please tell us about these brake pads that give you better gas mileage

I have been trying to figure out what else could be the cause for the increased mileage before making to big a thing out of this. I keep a thorough log of every tank of gas used by this (my 2016) and previous 2012 GTI Autobahn.

My first thought concerning the increased gas mileage was that it could be caused by the change from Winter gas to Summer blend. However I reviewed the fuel economy for the past 67,ooo miles over three years and there is no apparent correlation with the seasonal change in the blend of gas and what I am experiencing now.

I am down to thinking that somehow the previous OEM pucks were causing a slight drag by possibly not completely retracting the hydraulic brake piston.

Or maybe the dust from the previous break pads would keep the brakes from being fully free and clear of the rotors.

I don't ride the break pedal when driving and wonder if 65,ooo miles is an indication of premature break ware. The previous rotors were very well worn down.
I need to ask the mechanic at the shop what the name of the manufacturer of the break pads they installed.

ALRGTi

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Give me a brake... or a break?

#vwbreakgate
#vwbrakegate

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
I recently put the Centric Position-Quiet Ceramics on my '16 PP. They are so good! Really nice, smooth, positive pedal feel and almost no dust. I'm a big fan now!

I've ran these on previous cars with oem Brembos and really liked them! IIRC, the stock Brembo pads on the STIs were really dusty, but had great bite. With the PosiQuiets, there was a slight trade off of performance for less dust, but it was honestly negligible for daily driving/street use.

Rastapr

I just order the Centric Posi Quite Ceramic Pads. For those of you who installed them your self; how was the install? Did you have to do any type of modification to make them fit or do they just slide right in?

Thanks!

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I changed to my summer wheels last night and checked my brakes. Definitely need to do a full brake job... Rotors, pads, and I'm due for my fluid flush.

Rastapr

I changed to my summer wheels last night and checked my brakes. Definitely need to do a full brake job... Rotors, pads, and I'm due for my fluid flush.

How many miles do you have on your car? I have 25K and the OEM front pads are making noise already (hence the above post that I ordered new pads). I think it seems way too early for the pads to be making noise.

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I just order the Centric Posi Quite Ceramic Pads. For those of you who installed them your self; how was the install? Did you have to do any type of modification to make them fit or do they just slide right in?

Thanks!

No modification needed. They went right in. Put in my set a few weeks ago and have been very happy with them. Ecstatic with how little brake dust they produce.

25k mi is very early to have to be replacing stock pads. I took mine off at 54k and they still had an easy 5k more life left in them. Wear seems like an unlikely culprit of the noise at that low of mileage. Probably just need a good clean and lube. At any rate, I was so damn tired of the brake dust, they had to go. I can't fault you for wanting to get rid of them anyway.

Rastapr

No modification needed. They went right in. Put in my set a few weeks ago and have been very happy with them. Ecstatic with how little brake dust they produce.

25k mi is very early to have to be replacing stock pads. I took mine off at 54k and they still had an easy 5k more life left in them. Wear seems like an unlikely culprit of the noise at that low of mileage. Probably just need a good clean and lube. At any rate, I was so damn tired of the brake dust, they had to go. I can't fault you for wanting to get rid of them anyway.

Thanks for the reply. I think I will take it to get checked out. I thought 25K was way too early as well.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I'm at 48k. No noise, but probably 4mm of pad life left on the fronts. Backs have about 6-8. I didn't measure but just looking at them. I think I am going with these:

Centric Posi-quiet 10511081 Rear $26.79 on Rockauto
Centric Posi-quiet 10516330 Front $42.89 on Rockauto

Centric C-Tek 121.33113 Rear Rotor $20.99 each on Amazon
Centric C-Tek 121.33144 Front Rotor $24.24 each on Amazon

Rastapr

I'm at 48k. No noise, but probably 4mm of pad life left on the fronts. Backs have about 6-8. I didn't measure but just looking at them. I think I am going with these:

Centric Posi-quiet 10511081 Rear $26.79 on Rockauto
Centric Posi-quiet 10516330 Front $42.89 on Rockauto

Centric C-Tek 121.33113 Rear Rotor $20.99 each on Amazon
Centric C-Tek 121.33144 Front Rotor $24.24 each on Amazon

Just made an appointment to have the breaks checked out. I still ordered the Centrics, but if there is something going on that is making the breaks make noise new pads won't matter.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Just made an appointment to have the breaks checked out. I still ordered the Centrics, but if there is something going on that is making the breaks make noise new pads won't matter.

Where did you set up the appt if you dont mind me asking. I see you're in Solon, I work in Solon.

But yeha unless youre flooring the brakes and locking up tires every time you stop, theres no normal reason your brakes should be at the squeal tab yet. Hopefully nothing major. You should still be under warranty though so thats good