GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help with updating sat/nav on 2015 R

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
I've got a 2015 R with the MIB1 sat/nav system. I've purchased a new map update SD card and am about to install it. I know that it takes a couple of hours to do the install; do I need to keep the car running continuously during rthe update, or can I stop and start it throughout the day? Thanks.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I didn't know there was an update available or that would work on US cars.

If you do have updated maps, unless something changed for MIB2, the car runs off the SD card, it doesn't permanently load into the car's memory. What's the part number of the new SD card?

Urlik

Go Kart Newbie
I didn't know there was an update available or that would work on US cars.

If you do have updated maps, unless something changed for MIB2, the car runs off the SD card, it doesn't permanently load into the car's memory. What's the part number of the new SD card?

Map updates can include nav software updates too so it is possible it would take some time. Two hours with accessory position on and the engine not running is a great way to end up with a dead battery. Maybe keep a battery tender on it while it does it's thing.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Don't we have battery protection that will cut power to a circuit before the battery runs down? I like the battery tender idea, just make sure its compatible with your battery type, if it's an issue. VW changed over to AGM batteries.

Golf R1

Ready to race!
Others have killed their battery spending a couple hours messing with the VAGCOM with the car ignition turned on but engine off.
First time I plugged in to make edits with VCDS I did this. I keep my light switch in auto, this was the culprit. I flip it off (that sounded weird) when plugging in now.

Just called my dealer, they say the update for my 2016 is unavailable at this time; although it should be coming soon as they typically lag 2-3+ years between updates. OP, please post the product number for your SD card update so we can cross reference it. Thanks

Urlik

Go Kart Newbie
Just called my dealer, they say the update for my 2016 is unavailable at this time; although it should be coming soon as they typically lag 2-3+ years between updates. OP, please post the product number for your SD card update so we can cross reference it. Thanks

I suspect the MIB 1 is a different card.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
When I visited vw.navigation.com the site indicated that I needed to contact my dealer to update my nav unit. My unit is running version 3 while version 6 is the current version. I called the software vendor, here,com (formerly known as Navteq), and they informed me that the software is not user updatable.

So I scheduled an appointment with the local dealer for them to update the nav software. It will be the first dealer visit for my car since I drove it off the lot 4 years ago.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
When I visited vw.navigation.com the site indicated that I needed to contact my dealer to update my nav unit. My unit is running version 3 while version 6 is the current version. I called the software vendor, here,com (formerly known as Navteq), and they informed me that the software is not user updatable.

So I scheduled an appointment with the local dealer for them to update the nav software. It will be the first dealer visit for my car since I drove it off the lot 4 years ago.

Someone else tried this and the dealer wasn't able to do it. How much did the dealer say it will cost if they can? And what is the build date for your car? My dealer hasn't done any yet.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Someone else tried this and the dealer wasn't able to do it. How much did the dealer say it will cost if they can? And what is the build date for your car? My dealer hasn't done any yet.

My local dealer screwed up and didn't order the SD card. I showed up there yesterday at 7am and was on my way home again by 7:15. Their parts guy is supposed to do some investigation and get back to me, but I have not heard from him yet and to be honest, I doubt that I ever will.

I think they said $135 or so for the card but I was not provided with an estimate for the installation. My car is on version 3 of the nav software with a production week of 1/26/2015.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Since VW's website also showed, "call dealer" for my 2016, I did. Like every other i called, they said the latest update is version 2, which is what came with the car.

Another member with a 2016 was told by their dealer that a tech needs to do the install. I took that to mean the tech hooks up to the mother ship and downloads new nav software so it can use the 2018 SD card. When they tried to do whatever they intended to do they were unable to do anything.