GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Switching to KONIG Hypergram

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Thanks! Any idea what the minimum spacer might be?

Dan00Hawk

Go Kart Newbie

These just got delivered today from DiscountTireDirect.com. 18x8.5 43et with General G-MAX RS 235/40/18. Just waiting for temps to stay above freezing on a regular basis here in the Chicago area, which should be sometime next week. It will be difficult to wait!

They weighed in at exactly 40.0 lbs on my digital scale, which sounds right as the wheels should be just under 18 lbs, and the tires at 22 lbs.

I had a set of Konig Ultraforms on my previous Focus ST, and they held up perfectly for the 2 years that I used them, with not even a blemish in the finish. So I expect these to be durable as well.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Does anyone know which lug nuts (bolts?) I need to fit 18x8.5 Hypergrams on my Mk7? Will the stock wheel bolts work? Or is there a way to buy tuner style open ended bolts/lugs?

EDIT: So upon doing research it looks like these German cars use bolts instead of lugs. Is converting to bolts safe for these cars? Any pros/cons? What is the correct size studs if I wanted to convert to tuner lugs instead of the stock bolts?

Thanks for any help.

Stock lug bolts will NOT work.

You need aftermarket bolts, small diameter.
Gorilla has what you want:
17019SD-20 (chrome)
17019SDBC-20 (black)

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Figure I'd put this in an actual Hypergram thread. Didn't realize that the other thread is an Ampliform one[emoji16].

18x8.5 et43. 225-40-18. The rear has a 5mm spacer and the wheel still looks a bit inset. Waiting on some longer bolts to put the 12mm I had in the front when I had my stock wheels. Might try the 5mm in the front.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Looks great. Debating whether I'll notice lighter wheels and spending extra $500 to get some.

jeffkro

Go Kart Champion

These just got delivered today from DiscountTireDirect.com. 18x8.5 43et with General G-MAX RS 235/40/18. Just waiting for temps to stay above freezing on a regular basis here in the Chicago area, which should be sometime next week. It will be difficult to wait!

They weighed in at exactly 40.0 lbs on my digital scale, which sounds right as the wheels should be just under 18 lbs, and the tires at 22 lbs.

I had a set of Konig Ultraforms on my previous Focus ST, and they held up perfectly for the 2 years that I used them, with not even a blemish in the finish. So I expect these to be durable as well.

I likes

Dan00Hawk

Go Kart Newbie
Good comparison between Chogokin's lowered GTI above on 18" Race Bronze Hypergrams vs my OEM ride height GTI on the same wheels. My Gmax RS tires are 235/40/18. Several angles so you can see how the color looks in different lighting.

I installed these without any hub-centric rings. I hand torqued them with the wheels off the ground. I have zero vibrations up to 80mph (as fast as I went today). It was only a bother to line up the first two bolts (I used my feet to cradle the wheel into the proper position).

Dan00Hawk

Go Kart Newbie

If I am not getting any vibrations, why should I take the wheels off again to install these? Hub rings don't carry any load according to multiple sources. They merely make it easier to get the wheel lined up and centered and can help solve vibrations issues for those that have them.

I understand the need for those that have issues. Thanks for the links, though. I'll pick up a set of plastic ones to have on hand for when I install them next year. :)

Last edited:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
If I am not getting any vibrations, why should I take the wheels off again to install these? Hub rings don't carry any load according to multiple sources. They merely make it easier to get the wheel lined up and centered and can help solve vibrations issues for those that have them.

I understand the need for those that have issues. Thanks for the links, though. I'll pick up a set of plastic ones to have on hand for when I install them next year. :)

There's more to it than "getting vibrations"....you're putting all of the load AND stress on the bolts only to hold the wheel centered. No bueno
Why do you think TireRack includes them with EVERY aftermarket wheel? To lose money by just handing them out?
Why do you think people want hub centric wheels? (whether OEM or Neuspeeds)
They have their purpose....PLEASE spend the $10 & take the 10 minutes to install them, seriously

Dan00Hawk

Go Kart Newbie
There's more to it than "getting vibrations"....you're putting all of the load AND stress on the bolts only to hold the wheel centered. No bueno
Why do you think TireRack includes them with EVERY aftermarket wheel? To lose money by just handing them out?
Why do you think people want hub centric wheels? (whether OEM or Neuspeeds)
They have their purpose....PLEASE spend the $10 & take the 10 minutes to install them, seriously

Thanks for your opinion.

I followed TireRack and Discount Tires advice on mounting the wheels. Below are quotes from their websites. Again, hub rings do NOT carry load according to multiple sources. They are useful for lining up the bolts and helping with vibrations.

We can agree to disagree, but here are the words from TireRack and Discount Tire regarding this as well as another "non-tire seller" article.

LMGTFY: https://www.onallcylinders.com/2016...bbub-argument-using-hub-centric-rings-wheels/

According to a second common myth, the weight of the vehicle is supported by the hub pilot mating with the center bore of the wheel. If you don’t use hub centric rings, you transfer the weight of the vehicle to the lug hardware, and the wheel studs will break.

Fact is, the hub centric rings do not bear a load. The weight of the vehicle is actually supported by the friction between the wheel and its mounting surface on the axle. The friction is established and maintained once the lug hardware is properly installed and torqued to specs.

DiscountTire said:
]Most aftermarket wheels are non-hub-centric, which means the center bore of the wheel is larger than the hub pilot of the vehicle. Hub rings fill the gap between the wheel’s center bore and the hub pilot. This aligns and centers the tire and wheel assembly on the vehicle. Although hub rings are not required, they can play a role in minimizing vibration. Note: Hub-centric rings don’t carry any load.

TireRack said:
A centering ring (or hub centric ring) can be made of metal or plastic and either clicks into the back of the wheel or slides onto the hub of the vehicle - that way when you torque the lugs down, the wheel is already centered. The other way to do this, which is to use lug holes with cone-shaped bottoms with conical seat lug hardware. When installing lug centric wheels, jack the axle up so the wheel and tire are off the ground, then firmly hand-tighten the lugs down so the wheel meets the hub. Then, gradually and evenly start applying torque a little bit at a time to each lug in a star-shape pattern. As you add torque, the cone-shaped lugs shift the wheel upwards on the hub and center the wheel properly, preventing wheel vibration.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
You don’t need them per se but they make everything a lot easier. I ran my Konigs without a hub ring while they were getting mailed out and had no issues with vibration, obviously you need to pay more attention bolting them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Thanks for your opinion.

I followed TireRack and Discount Tires advice on mounting the wheels. Below are quotes from their websites. Again, hub rings do NOT carry load according to multiple sources. They are useful for lining up the bolts and helping with vibrations.

We can agree to disagree, but here are the words from TireRack and Discount Tire regarding this as well as another "non-tire seller" article.

LMGTFY: https://www.onallcylinders.com/2016...bbub-argument-using-hub-centric-rings-wheels/

So one Dan is right about hub rings not carrying load, the other Dan is right about them still being recommended by every aftermarket wheel manufacturer and retailer out there. Sure if we quote specific bits from Discount/Tire Rack they say they are not "required" but those companies also have a very rigid policy to always include hub centric rings with aftermarket wheels and tire packages, both for ease of installation, reduction in potential vibration, and safety.

Hub rings are a little like a throw out bearing, or a rear main seal, or any inexpensive part that is easy to replace/install while doing another larger job so there is no reason to not do it. Both for peace of mind and so that you won't have issues down the road because you didn't.

Any argument I've seen against using them are from people that have "never felt the need for them" or "had mag wheels back in the 60s and that vibration never bothered me", or the most valid are people that had rings fuse to hubs because of corrosion or similar. I sympathize with the last one, but that's why poly carbonate rings are made.

Even if we ignore the aftermarket, every single OEM wheel from about the early 80s until now has been designed to be hub centric. That is because lugs don't do a perfect job of centering a wheel, but the hub does. That means you can hang a wheel on the hub and not be ultra critical about centering or doing a multi-stage star pattern torquing (though you should still tighten in a star pattern!) to attempt to center the wheel. That's better for everyone.

Also that "On All Cylinders" blog post from Summit Racing has an oddly sensationalized title from a company that, again, actively recommends and includes hub centric rings with every wheel and tire package they sell. There is no argument against using hub rings in that article as far as I can tell. They list 4 circumstances where you shouldn't (or can't?) use hub rings, basically on wheels that aren't designed to use hub rings, then they go on to say that Summit Racing recommends hub rings to improve ride quality. Not really a for and against article there.

Dan00Hawk

Go Kart Newbie
There are certainly valid reasons to use them as stated above, but they aren't "essential". DiscountTireDirect didn't send them to me with my order, for example. I'll still pick up the set that the other Dan posted, as it does make it easier when mounting.

I just wanted to list mine as an example of how properly mounting and tightening the wheels systematically in the air can result in no vibrations. Hubrings just help make that process easier. :)

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion