GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R is misfiring and dealer won't do sh*t!

walterthurman

Fingers crossed...

I received the update last week. I asked the service rep if they had it already, and he asked me what I was talking about.

"The update for the misfire issue on my Golf R."

"So, please describe to me what your car is doing?" He was looking at my file on his computer at the time. The file with only two things in it: an oil change, and this.

So I explained it to him.

"So it's doing this now?" he said.

"Not for the last ten months since I started idling it for a full minute before driving."

"So it's fine now. So what's the issue?"

Anyway, they looked for the update, having no idea what I was talking about. Eventually they found it, but couldn't get their tool to talk to my car. Same with the next two tools. Meant it had to stay overnight while they downloaded the software to a fourth computer. Not making that up. It took something like 4 hours to download.

Since I got it back, the car's been...better. No CELs, and very little stutter when I pull out. No more waiting a minute for the idle to drop. It pulls a little harder before it's fully warm, so my impression is that they actually did something to the air/fuel mixture rather than simply killing the Check Engine Light. It's been in the upper 20s and low 30s (Fahrenheit, -4 to +2 Celsius for our Canadian friends) around here, so if it was going to throw a light, it would have.

Am I happy? Happier. I understand why it took so long for them to get this approved, but the total lack of communication for VWOA about this has been nonexistent. I wasn't expecting weekly check-ins to see how the car's doing, but even a simple form letter explaining the situation would have been nice. Anything. A text message. Instead, silence.

This is their halo car. The people who buy these are the brand's civilian evangelists. Not that most other car companies are any better from a PR standpoint, but after the diesel fiasco Volkswagen needs all the happy customers they can find. And instead of praising my little blue ass-kicker, I've been moaning and groaning to everyone I know.

Okay, rant over. You may now return to regularly scheduled posts.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Since I got it back, the car's been...better. No CELs, and very little stutter when I pull out. No more waiting a minute for the idle to drop. It pulls a little harder before it's fully warm, so my impression is that they actually did something to the air/fuel mixture rather than simply killing the Check Engine Light. It's been in the upper 20s and low 30s (Fahrenheit, -4 to +2 Celsius for our Canadian friends) around here, so if it was going to throw a light, it would have.

Am I happy? Happier. I understand why it took so long for them to get this approved, but the total lack of communication for VWOA about this has been nonexistent. I wasn't expecting weekly check-ins to see how the car's doing, but even a simple form letter explaining the situation would have been nice. Anything. A text message. Instead, silence.

This is their halo car. The people who buy these are the brand's civilian evangelists. Not that most other car companies are any better from a PR standpoint, but after the diesel fiasco Volkswagen needs all the happy customers they can find. And instead of praising my little blue ass-kicker, I've been moaning and groaning to everyone I know.

Okay, rant over. You may now return to regularly scheduled posts.

Same experience as me, they must've changed something rather than just suppressing the light (which makes me happy), but having a CEL for a year on a brand new car really pissed me off. They did the software update while they were doing my 30,000km service (basically oil and air filter) and it added about a half hour, so call it an hour and a half total. Your place must have slow internet haha.

It's been warm where i am (usually triggers CEL) and i still haven't had one pop up since the update (or felt it idling roughly) so i'm considering this issue fixed.

Everyone who's asked me about the car i've told them the same... I absolutely love the car but i am very nervous of owning it once my (extended) warranty runs out. I'm basically at the dealership monthly. The funny thing is the only other cars i would buy new are Audi's so not like leaving VW is going to make any real difference to their bottom line.

jkfkoo

Re: MY2017 R Owners

TSB#: 205026111 is what addresses the cold start rough idles/misfires.

*This bulletin will only appear on MY2017 cars*

bruxwillix

Ready to race!
I wonder what the difference is between MY2016 and MY2017 Golf Rs. My MY2016 has no TSBs or software updates.
+1 WTH my 2016 has cold start misfires n pops. ima call thelocal dealership tmw n ask

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Gberg2119

Ready to race!
Taking my R in for the update next Saturday. First CEL happened back in the end of December. I cleared the codes and it came back again 2 days ago. Now I gotta drive around with a CEL for a week and a half.