GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R - dynaudio - can nav be added?

edsr

Hi there,

Just put deposit down on a 2016 R with the Dynaudio package but weirdly, no nav (my last R was nicked a few weeks ago).

Dealer reckons even if you could enable Nav, when it’s next serviced, it’d get disabled again.

Anyone know what options there are to either add nav or CarPlay as a retrofit? Google doesn’t seem to know...

Also the screen is smaller than the Discover Pro head unit I had in my last one, with the Nav button replaced with a Mute one. Is there a way to upgrade the screen size for a sensible price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Hi there,

Just put deposit down on a 2016 R with the Dynaudio package but weirdly, no nav (my last R was nicked a few weeks ago).

Dealer reckons even if you could enable Nav, when it’s next serviced, it’d get disabled again.

Anyone know what options there are to either add nav or CarPlay as a retrofit? Google doesn’t seem to know...

Also the screen is smaller than the Discover Pro head unit I had in my last one, with the Nav button replaced with a Mute one. Is there a way to upgrade the screen size for a sensible price?

You should go with an MIB 2 unit that has carplay(If yours doesnt have it) and get it activated, Its the easiest way IMO.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

edsr

Thanks Reaper.

This is a pic of the actual head unit. How to spot an MIB 2? Google images is showing me all sorts...

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks Reaper.

This is a pic of the actual head unit. How to spot an MIB 2? Google images is showing me all sorts...

Just Press the Menu button and check if there is an App connect icon, if its not there then it doesnt matter if its An MIB2 or 1, You will need a new unit Regardless.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

edsr

Damn. I’m gonna assume the dealer would have said if it had Connect.

Also the car comes with 2 yrs left on the extended warranty - do you think messing with a new/existing head unit would affect that?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Hi there,

You'll need to buy a hacked unit, or get a unit hacked by some bloke with insider information.

Plug and play hacked unit is the easiest solution. Where are you based? I'm guessing UK?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Thanks Tom, yeah UK. I’m just reading that massive thread... https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/...be-retrofitted-by-vw-on-2016my-golfs/page/18/

So this car is:

MY 16
Reverse cam
Mute button too right
Voice button bottom left

From what I’ve read (about half way thru) it looks like I should be able to get VW to enable Car Play for £200 or so.

Does that sound right?

If you have a MIB2 unit, it should be possible for the dealer to put AppConnect on for a cost - not the OEM navigation though.

edsr

OK great. On the phone earlier they said it can’t be done but sounds like a lot of dealers are less informed than the owners.

Fingers crossed.

I’m not fussed about the factory nav but annoying to buy a 3yo car and need to revert to a cradle stuck to the windscreen. At least with car play I can just plug my phone in and use an app via the head unit.

The discover Pro was far from perfect anyway and even my Mrs 60 plate has nav, I just can’t believe nav is even optional on a £30k car...

Thanks for the help chaps [emoji106]

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
OK great. On the phone earlier they said it can’t be done but sounds like a lot of dealers are less informed than the owners.

Fingers crossed.

I’m not fussed about the factory nav but annoying to buy a 3yo car and need to revert to a cradle stuck to the windscreen. At least with car play I can just plug my phone in and use an app via the head unit.

The discover Pro was far from perfect anyway and even my Mrs 60 plate has nav, I just can’t believe nav is even optional on a £30k car...

Thanks for the help chaps [emoji106]

I'll be honest with you mate, I retrofitted a MIB2 unit with OEM navigation and AppConnect and I hardly ever use them - I have a Brodit mount that attaches to the air vent next to the driver door with a USB C cable screwed in so when I drop my phone in, it charges.

I just use Waze through my phone rather than through Android Auto.