GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helix Soundbox highs/mids sounds CRAP

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
So for a MK7.5 GTI I should use code 57, is that correct? What's the case for using code 97 (reduced output) on this list?

That is a very good question... I would think with any GTI 4-door that code 57 is still what should be used, but that list has been updated (Version 2.0, likely for the code file for the dongle, not referring to the Helix box revision).

If anyone has a dongle around and can update their files I'd be very interested to see if code 97 allows more of the volume knob to be used without distortion, or if it's a reduced power (not gain) like it notes for lower end systems with weaker speakers.

tranceFusion

That is a very good question... I would think with any GTI 4-door that code 57 is still what should be used, but that list has been updated (Version 2.0, likely for the code file for the dongle, not referring to the Helix box revision).

If anyone has a dongle around and can update their files I'd be very interested to see if code 97 allows more of the volume knob to be used without distortion, or if it's a reduced power (not gain) like it notes for lower end systems with weaker speakers.

I've currently got the dongle from the rental thread. Having just installed the system, I haven't done extensive listening at this point so it seems difficult to make generalizations. But my first impression is: Set to 57, it sounds very bass-heavy. Set to 97, it sounds slightly brighter, with bass that is more punchy/less rumbly. But, there is still a lot of bass. Overall, the difference does not seem enormous, maybe similar to dialing the bass to -4 or so with the 57 setting.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I've currently got the dongle from the rental thread. Having just installed the system, I haven't done extensive listening at this point so it seems difficult to make generalizations. But my first impression is: Set to 57, it sounds very bass-heavy. Set to 97, it sounds slightly brighter, with bass that is more punchy/less rumbly. But, there is still a lot of bass. Overall, the difference does not seem enormous, maybe similar to dialing the bass to -4 or so with the 57 setting.
Thanks for posting an update. Would you be able to adjust the sub gain on the dsp down a bit and see if you prefer one or the other?

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

tranceFusion

Thanks for posting an update. Would you be able to adjust the sub gain on the dsp down a bit and see if you prefer one or the other?

I didn't mess with the philips screw on the amp previously because I saw another thread where some were suggesting it was a crossover and to leave it alone. But, after playing with it, I feel pretty certain it is a simple gain knob.

After my previous post I saw this post from a person who felt the 97 setting was for a system with reduced output to the amp: Link

But which vehicle would that be?!?

So I used a long ethernet cable which would reach from my trunk to the front seat and listened to various segments of different songs using the sub gain at 50%. Ultimately, I still felt that the output of 97 might be slightly reduced compared to 57, but it was so minor that it could have simply been placebo. It's very hard to listen to an audio segment twice and not discover some new nuance to how it sounds.

I'm not sure whether the version 2.0 listed in the table refers to the file or the something regarding the vehicle. I also noticed the names of the files on the SD Card:

Golf 7 EU 4dr_v1.s57
Golf 7 EU 4dr mit Netzteilregelung.s97

"Golf 7 EU 4dr mit Netzteilregelung" translates to "Golf 7 EU 4dr with power supply control".

The date on the 97 file is 8/29/2016 - maybe that lines up with the B revision and/or the mk7.5 release?

I did compare the files and see that the hex codes within are completely different - so at least it doesn't seem to be a straight copy and pasted file.

At this point I don't feel any closer to understanding why there are two options :)

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I didn't mess with the philips screw on the amp previously because I saw another thread where some were suggesting it was a crossover and to leave it alone. But, after playing with it, I feel pretty certain it is a simple gain knob.

After my previous post I saw this post from a person who felt the 97 setting was for a system with reduced output to the amp: Link

But which vehicle would that be?!?

So I used a long ethernet cable which would reach from my trunk to the front seat and listened to various segments of different songs using the sub gain at 50%. Ultimately, I still felt that the output of 97 might be slightly reduced compared to 57, but it was so minor that it could have simply been placebo. It's very hard to listen to an audio segment twice and not discover some new nuance to how it sounds.

I'm not sure whether the version 2.0 listed in the table refers to the file or the something regarding the vehicle. I also noticed the names of the files on the SD Card:

Golf 7 EU 4dr_v1.s57
Golf 7 EU 4dr mit Netzteilregelung.s97

"Golf 7 EU 4dr mit Netzteilregelung" translates to "Golf 7 EU 4dr with power supply control".

The date on the 97 file is 8/29/2016 - maybe that lines up with the B revision and/or the mk7.5 release?

I did compare the files and see that the hex codes within are completely different - so at least it doesn't seem to be a straight copy and pasted file.

At this point I don't feel any closer to understanding why there are two options :)

I don't think anyone is fuzzy about that screw now, it's definitely a gain control for the subwoofer, the only real adjustment you have for the DSP outside of the EQ in the headunit.

I appreciate the effort! Based on the two titles "reduced output-power" from the VW accessory list and the "power supply control" note on the file, I'm going to assume two things in two totally different directions:

1. It's a reduced DSP gain output for systems that have weaker speakers, but if that were true I feel like you would need a noticeable increase in volume level to match, which I don't think you experienced, and if so within your margin of error.

2. On the opposite end, it's an INCREASED gain file for Golf headunits with actually less wattage output from the headunit, possibly newer very low line models, which to match the output/performance levels they want the DSP actually has more gain staging than needed with the more standard MIB1/2/3 systems. In this case, unless gain was somehow dynamic (HIGHLY unlikely) you'd still notice a change in output, but actually a higher volume level.

In either case, unless someone hears or finds out conclusively from their dealership what it is for I'd continue using 57 for 4-door Golfs.

Last edited:

Buster_Bluth

Passed Driver's Ed
I’m installing the sub this weekend. Regarding the 57 vs 97 programming code, I emailed Audiotec Fischer on this for clarification. Here is their reply:

“Thank you for your Mail.
The Setup No. 57 is the right one for your car.
Setup No 97 is only used for older models with the MIB 1 Version.”

Hope that clears it up.

polo8043

Help me!! How to use the upgrade software?

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
The volume range is completely adjustable. That is one of the functions/reasons for the gain knob on the amp itself.. if you want to use more of your radio volume throw, turn down the gain a hair. But, you dont want your radio volume to max at 80-95 either, as the radio can introduce some additional distortion when used to its max range. but 30% average volume is a bit low for me..

oh... i hadnt read the other 4 pages when i posted this.. looks like im late to the "gain" party..

2013R

Drag Race Newbie

Can you translate the hex code and determine the actual settings? I was going to have my developers at my work try that. Do you know what encoding is being used?

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Can someone provide a new version of the programming code (updated!)?

i found 4-6 more new codes on some website yesterday, it was in a PDF i opened. One of the new ones was for the "VWroc" or something? but nothing new for GTI's..

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
i found 4-6 more new codes on some website yesterday, it was in a PDF i opened. One of the new ones was for the "VWroc" or something? but nothing new for GTI's..
That's possibly referring to the T-Roc, the small SUV that is sadly EU only :(