GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Underside of car in Midwest

Fowvaydriver

Ready to race!
Easy... coming from
Old vw’s always get out my undercoat gun or just heat it in the summer sun and paint on with a brush... soak underside of car... remove wheel liners and spray. It’s messy but last for about 2-4 years.
Much like cosmoline (so?) silicone/wax self
Healing. Amber color. Looks nice and clean on bottom side of car. Easily cleaned up with kerosene.
I buy a cheap painters suit at Home Depot when I do it to keep out of my hair. Put car in four wheel ramps crawl under and coat ... minus exhaust/brakes which I cover with news paper with tape wrapped around it.
My last Vw Passat wagon... 230,000 miles in the north east... zero rust. Removing bolts and suspension ... no problems.
Get the can NOT spray can. Takes about 3 of them to do a whole car.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-heavy-duty-anti-rust-in-amber.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
I live in Minnesota and also use FluidFilm. You can also get it on Amazon if you don't have a store near you that carries it.

Thick, oily, and kinda smelly. Dirt really clings to it. But supposedly it works well as a corrosion inhibitor. I spray it on all exposed metal on the underside including body, subframe, underside of transmission, sway bars, even suspension, before the first snow.

Then I periodically take the car through a touchless wash that has an underbody spray. Not very often because it's closed half the time do to temperatures.

Time will tell if it works or not... but I am hoping it's better than doing nothing.

Another option you could consider is trying to retrofit as many of the underbody plastic aero panels / skid trays as possible. If you look on GolfDave's DIY thread there are a lot of extra bits you can get to cover up the undercarriage.

DAS_STIG

Banned