GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sandman GTI MK7 PP DCC Lighting Pkg - The Journey begins!

Jlungo

Ready to race!
Ever find a set of wheel locks for your OZ wheels?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Ever find a set of wheel locks for your OZ wheels?

Yes.
Tirerack finally got some in stock.
But with my Titanium bolts I do not have a lock installed.
Thought about removing one bolt and using the locks.
That close to center of the wheel I do think the weight would impact balance enough. Wanted to run all Titanium at first to see how they feel.
Or Titanium locks if made and not an arm and a leg on cost.

Jlungo

Ready to race!
Let me guess. 36mm wheel locks? The standard size they sell....
Yes.
Tirerack finally got some in stock.
But with my Titanium bolts I do not have a lock installed.
Thought about removing one bolt and using the locks.
That close to center of the wheel I do think the weight would impact balance enough. Wanted to run all Titanium at first to see how they feel.
Or Titanium locks if made and not an arm and a leg on cost.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Dig the ti lugbolts. From a corrosion-nerd/paint-nerd standpoint, i think you should see a slight reduction of corrosion buildup on the ti bolts over the stainless. Curious about the weight difference as well. 5 bolts a wheel should be something around a pound of reduction per wheel i'd wager.

Jlungo

Ready to race!

Jlungo

Ready to race!
Have you tried ECS Tuning?
They have bolt kits for there flush spacers.
Maybe talk directly to them for what length you need.
Tried but as you are aware the OZ bolt hole is smaller than stock wheels. The OZ wheel bolts seat size is R12 vs R14 for OEM wheels so it won't sit flush into the OZ wheel socket fully

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Wolfsburg Badge.

Has these a while just deciding if I wanted to use.
Purchased from Ali-express.

I watched the video below of a TT-RS-R mod by ABT.
I noticed when Shmee opens.the drivers door you see the ABT logo at this unused space on the side of the dash. I thought it was a nice touch only noticed when door was open. Took a while.ti decide what to add on my GTI. GTI badge, VW Badge???
Then I found the metal Wolfsburg badge and like the color match with my GTI.

Still deciding how much I like.
What do you think?

Skip to 1:30 into video when he opens drivers door. At 1:47 he points out the ABT badge.

The whole video is a nice review of the car.

https://youtu.be/e0hDWkWEbuM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Wheel cleaner comparison!

This past weekend after completing my brake work I cleaned my brake dust coated OZ's prior to bolting back on. After reading comments about some wheel cleaners I tested two products.

Sonax wheel cleaner and Chemical Guys Diablo Wheel Cleaner.
Each product did one rear and one front wheel.

I sprayed each on and let it sit for 15 min.
The Sonax was used straight while the Diablo was diluted 1:3 with water as suggested, but can be used 100%.

Thoughts:

Sonax
1. Smells! An odd smell that stays with you. I smelled in the rest of the day and a couple after in my driveway.
2. Goes on neon green.
Cool but no purpose.
3. Has Iron-X properties as iron oxide turns purple so a nice item.
4. Cleans OK. Neither item cleans without manual agitation. Might come of if power washer used. Used a detailers brush and new Chemical Guys micro fiber wand. Foamed up OK.

Chemical Guys Diablo Wheel Cleaner.
1. Smells like bubble gun. Something to look forward to compared to Sonax.
2. No Iron-X properties.
3. Great surfactants. Slick feel and bundle gum smell.
4. Foams up faster when working with brush. Felt like dirt lifted easier.
5. The fact you can dilute is a cost savings. I think you could even mix 1:5 or 1:6 and get good results.
6. Did I say it smells good.

Both products work but the smell kills the Sonax for me.
I also use Iron-X (lemon only) on the car paint so spraying the wheels at the same time covers the Sonax Iron oxide benefit if you choose to use the Diablo.

Hope the info helps.

Last edited:

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Finished the PP brake work!

I replaced the front brake disc and pads several weeks back and while I was off for the 4th of July week I worked on the rear and finished the job. At first my plan was to replace the rear pads only and call it a day. But after looking at the completed fronts for a while and seeing the rusty rears I thought about just buying a new similar priced rear disc. Painting it good meant I would have to remove it and if I was going to do that why not just go new. So new it was, but.....I went ahead and completed the matching set and purchased the GIRODISC rear brake discs. The rear install was actually harder for me only due to the fact that the rear bolts are harder to reach and torque down with car on jack stands. The 90deg 100% humidity did not help. With this part finished I then replaced all the brake lines with ECS Tuning SS lines and then purged the old brake fluid with endless brake fluid. The old fluid does get dirty in 3 years. This was my first brake job performed by myself so after getting wheels back on I went for a test drive. Slowly backed out the driveway and test stopped a few times. Then in my neighborhood I did a couple test stops at low speed. All was good. Went for a drive taking some back roads to test it at increasing speeds. Still good!!!!! Everything worked well. I have been watching for leaks and checking the fluid level and so far no issues.

Rear.

New rear brake line.

Old front OE brake line.

New front brake lines.

Brake fluid. 2 - 500ml bottles.

Brakes all done, ready for wheels.

Reference videos.

https://youtu.be/-FToGwwGMV4

https://youtu.be/HjXTLWDKGjI

https://youtu.be/Ej7tZEBbqrI

https://youtu.be/EkmKGptc4rM

https://youtu.be/Y6awspTQmq0

Last edited:

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
As always quality work my friend!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
As always quality work my friend!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks!
A good bit of work but in the end I enjoyed the process.
Getting older one does not recover as fast.
But like two a days in football you keep going.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
What the..........

Drove the car up on front ramps to check something and noticed this. I know I have not bottomed out this hard and do not remember hitting anything. It looks like an impact. Must have been something on the road or a big Rock. But I would have heard it. Will have to search for part number.

If anyone visiting has the info I would appreciate the time saver.
The front under cover is OK just the corner chin spoiler. I would take part number for both sides. Might as well order and replace both. Minor scratch area.

Thanks if you have part numbers.