GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the 312mm front brakes to a Mk7 Golf

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I looked again today at the rotors and that clear non-contact area is not much less defined. It looks like it just took some time for the pads to reach that area. I’d say I’m down to that half inch of distance now... instead the inch inch and a half it was before

Sorted then!...:cool:

WoNayT

Passed Driver's Ed
This may have been covered and I missed it but with the disk upgrade to the 312mm are the pads the same size or larger? Does this just increase cooling ability with more surface area or braking as well with an increased pad size?

To be honest I'd love 2 or 4 pot brakes but I saw your other comments about considering master cylinder ability to support that safely.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
The upgraded/bigger carrier that goes on the 312mm rotors uses the same non PP brake pads.

I did this mod recently, while the rotors are now bigger, the factory pads (which is one of the best) is still the old ones, since it lasts for quite a while.

The only difference is now that the point of bite on the rotor is further away from the center (as compared to smaller rotors), so the stopping is much smoother/gradual and pronounced.

Elwood

3-7-77
Same pads, same calipers. The increased rotor size gives the brakes more leverage (farther from the center of the wheel). It's a very noticeable upgrade.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Same pads, same calipers. The increased rotor size gives the brakes more leverage (farther from the center of the wheel). It's a very noticeable upgrade.

Not 100% correct...:(

The calliper is drilled for either 55mm or 57mm piston...& the upgrade is for the 57mm piston as the 55mm piston does not work properly..as others have found out. My car had the 57mm piston from factory...so you need to look at the marking on the calliper near the piston as its marked 55 or 57...:cool:

WoNayT

Passed Driver's Ed
Awesome thanks, basically like grabbing the tire to stop the car vs the rim. Just a pure laziness ask does anyone know if the North America Golf S uses the 55 or 57.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Dave, would non-PP GTI front brakes fit on a 2015 Beetle? I swapped my non-PP GTI front brakes for PP, and would like to install them on my wife's Beetle. Thanks.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Dave, would non-PP GTI front brakes fit on a 2015 Beetle? I swapped my non-PP GTI front brakes for PP, and would like to install them on my wife's Beetle. Thanks.

Any MQB platform car they will work on.....

but I think the Beetle is still on the MK6 Golf platform...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Im soon in need of new front discs for the first time so this summer will be looking at doing exactly this
Thanks once again for your time Dave!!!

No problems!!…..& the Brembo discs are quite good...or the ATE...both were better than the EBC ones....:cool:

Ok so i dug through this thread. If i have a stock 2015 (NAR) TDI. Would i be able to install non-pp GTI calipers? The seller is selling: Calipers, carriers and dust shield. Is there any other parts I would need?

Can i directly swap calipers and keep my stock rotors?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Ok so i dug through this thread. If i have a stock 2015 (NAR) TDI. Would i be able to install non-pp GTI calipers? The seller is selling: Calipers, carriers and dust shield. Is there any other parts I would need?

Can i directly swap calipers and keep my stock rotors?

The point of this thread to change the 288mm rotors & swap them for the non-pp stock GTI 312mm rotors....

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
The 15 Golf TDI has steel knuckles and 254 (or 255)mm rotors so this upgrade isn't really for us. Also most of the other Mk7s have aluminum knuckles. This upgrade lets people with 288mm brakes re-use their existing caliper by installing the 312mm caliper carrier, thus letting them also use 312mm rotors.

At minimum you need carriers and rotors (for a 288mm setup or a 312mm setup). That assumes the caliper on our Golf TDI will bolt onto either of those carriers. I don't know if it will/won't but search the TDIclub forums. I believe somebody did a similar (but not exactly this) upgrade. I don't remember if they drive a Golf or GSW.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk