GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Keep it clean folks!

SteveRosenlund

I did my MK7.5 last week at 21k miles. I’ve beenAPR stage 1 since the day after I drove it off the lot. I’m now stage 2 high torque. My fluid and filter were squeaky clean. I won’t be doing this service again until probably 60k miles or more.

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
I'm Unitronic Stage 2 tuned ECU/TCU since about 5000 miles...that said I drive it pretty gentle.:D I truly expected the filter to be pretty clean because I drive so conservative, and I'm glad I checked.

Do you happen to have an early production 2016 and with a D revision rear diff?

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Do you happen to have an early production 2016 and with a D revision rear diff?

I'm not sure, I'm away at work for a few weeks. Where do you find the "D"??

If the letter is cast into the rear diff case I think I have an "H", as there is an "H" all by itself on the case to the right of all the other cast numbers.

DamageDone

If the diff manufacturer uses too much gear marking compound to set the ring and pinion it will contaminate the diff fluid. This is common and why you should change all your fluids immediately after the breakin period and THEN go to your normal maintenace intervals. Other possibility is its prone to water contamination through the breather vent when you drive through puddles

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
This is crazy. I changed mine out recently after a VERY hard 15k miles and it was clean as a whistle. I was expecting to see this or worse, but nothing there.

-- Ed

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I had mine checked yesterday and also completely clean. I was expecting to see sludge, but the fluid and the filter were clean for my 2017 Alltrack.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Bringing this back up to update my last 23k miles; switched @ 28k to EQT from Unitronic, now I'm running Stage 2 93 v2.51, and EQT DSG v2.5. I've noticed my transmission shifting a little harder than normal the last few months, then noticed I haven't updated to the EQT DSG v2.5, so I thought, maybe it'll shift a little better after I update. It didn't improve so I just thought it's the tune. I ran all the adaptions to update everything, but still it was just a little rough in the shifting department, mostly at full throttle.
Back to the Haldex, I had always planned to put fresh Haldex fluid in about every 20k as my unit often looks worst than many here, so I finally had the time to do the fluid change today.
Warm up Golf R, means drive it around for a while.
Remove 5mm hex fill plug.
Remove 8mm hex drain plug, drain fluid.
Remove (2) T30(inside) or 10mm(outside) pump bolts.
Remove pump, inspect crap on 'filter'
Remove 'filter' (2) T10 screws
Clean filter and replace
Clean out disgusting pump housing
Replace pump.
Replace drain plug with new drain plug and copper washer.
Fill with Haldex fluid until it starts leaking out the top, replace old 5mm fill plug, start vehicle to prime pump, remove old bolt, top off fluid level.
Insert new fill plug.

So, I was hoping my fluid was going to be nice like many others here, and then I would extend my drain and fill times, but noooo, my fluid was full of shit again, all apple sauce looking crap full of stuff, the towel pic is only Haldex crap I got off the 'filter'. Looks like I'll be switching it out again in another 20k miles.
A nice side effect is the car now shifts really nice, like warm butter, kinda like it's supposed to so changing the Haldex fluid really made a nice difference.

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_0920.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0917.jpg

pdisguise

Go Kart Newbie
I changed mine 35k after buying the car and there was almost nothing on the filter.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
I was discussing this with the local shop that has been focusing quite a bit on the MQB platform (they are the shop offering the thrust bearing 'fix'). They mentioned the 'gunk' build up on the Haldex seems to be more related to the climate you live in.

So for example here in Ontario (and likely anywhere in Michigan), they recommend even coming in a bit earlier then the recommendation by VW. That said a place like Texas / Florida / southern California and everything south in between (minus maybe Colorado), you can wait a bit longer. If you don't drive your R in the winter, you fall in the southern states category.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
I was discussing this with the local shop that has been focusing quite a bit on the MQB platform (they are the shop offering the thrust bearing 'fix'). They mentioned the 'gunk' build up on the Haldex seems to be more related to the climate you live in.

So for example here in Ontario (and likely anywhere in Michigan), they recommend even coming in a bit earlier then the recommendation by VW. That said a place like Texas / Florida / southern California and everything south in between (minus maybe Colorado), you can wait a bit longer. If you don't drive your R in the winter, you fall in the southern states category.
I was thinking cold weather would be a factor for the 'apple sauce' looking fluid as both times I switched it it was cold, this time it was 31*f. Is it because we (colder climates) use it more? I'm always doing 4 wheel burn-outs at every intersection in the snow, heck that's why I got the R over the GTI.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Bringing this back up to update my last 23k miles; switched @ 28k to EQT from Unitronic, now I'm running Stage 2 93 v2.51, and EQT DSG v2.5. I've noticed my transmission shifting a little harder than normal the last few months, then noticed I haven't updated to the EQT DSG v2.5, so I thought, maybe it'll shift a little better after I update. It didn't improve so I just thought it's the tune. I ran all the adaptions to update everything, but still it was just a little rough in the shifting department, mostly at full throttle.
Back to the Haldex, I had always planned to put fresh Haldex fluid in about every 20k as my unit often looks worst than many here, so I finally had the time to do the fluid change today.
Warm up Golf R, means drive it around for a while.
Remove 5mm hex fill plug.
Remove 8mm hex drain plug, drain fluid.
Remove (2) T30(inside) or 10mm(outside) pump bolts.
Remove pump, inspect crap on 'filter'
Remove 'filter' (2) T10 screws
Clean filter and replace
Clean out disgusting pump housing
Replace pump.
Replace drain plug with new drain plug and copper washer.
Fill with Haldex fluid until it starts leaking out the top, replace old 5mm fill plug, start vehicle to prime pump, remove old bolt, top off fluid level.
Insert new fill plug.

So, I was hoping my fluid was going to be nice like many others here, and then I would extend my drain and fill times, but noooo, my fluid was full of shit again, all apple sauce looking crap full of stuff, the towel pic is only Haldex crap I got off the 'filter'. Looks like I'll be switching it out again in another 20k miles.
A nice side effect is the car now shifts really nice, like warm butter, kinda like it's supposed to so changing the Haldex fluid really made a nice difference.

View attachment 231156
View attachment 231157

View attachment 231158
View attachment 231159
That's really interesting about the shifting behavior. I would have never imagined that a haldex service would impact shifting feel at all. Were you getting tire spin and TCS intervention before the service that may have been making it feel rough?

-- Ed

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
I was thinking cold weather would be a factor for the 'apple sauce' looking fluid as both times I switched it it was cold, this time it was 31*f. Is it because we (colder climates) use it more? I'm always doing 4 wheel burn-outs at every intersection in the snow, heck that's why I got the R over the GTI.
tbh I am not sure but will definitely ask next time. When you refer to the 'apple sauce' do you mean what appears to be the haldex fluid almost turning into a jelly?

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
That's really interesting about the shifting behavior. I would have never imagined that a haldex service would impact shifting feel at all. Were you getting tire spin and TCS intervention before the service that may have been making it feel rough?

-- Ed
No tire spin, no other issues what-so-ever, just a smack in the ass ever so often. From my perspective, say accelerating full throttle in 2nd gear about to change to 3rd, there was a noticeable pause, then shift, then acceleration, just on full throttle shifts. It would be like this (if you were counting it out)...full throttle, pause 1000, shift, pause 1000, go. I thought you put it into the DSG program...the pause to remove torque for a clean shift and save component lifespan or something. Now it shifts quicker, like full throttle, shift, go. I drove it a couple times now and it just shifts like it should under full throttle.