GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need some quick help with the leaking speakers (working on it as I type)

pgh_dshaw

Ready to race!
I'm in the process of fixing the leaking door speakers since the dealer can't seem to the first four times. I drilled the rivets out, but unfortunately cracked the black plastic around the speaker. Can I go get some aftermarket ones as replacements without them leaking water? I'm going to put a bead of silicone around them. Or is the black plastic housing ones from VW a must? These aren't Fender's. If aftermarket is fine, what size?

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
Im perplexed how the speakers are leaking. Cdt audio has some vw specific rings. With or without speakers attached.

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
If you have water on the backside of the speakers you have a door/window seal problem, not a speaker problem.

I have aftermarket (metra) rings on my focal components and they fit fine. I think they are 3/4", but selected depth for no real measured reason. They clear the window components just fine.

Also, and maybe more importantly, I have never seen evidence of water on the magnet side.

Check out XTC foam baffles if you really need to protect the backside of the speaker from water, but i imagine you'll have massive rust inside the door skin if you don;t fix the leak first, which would make the baffles a moot point.

Last edited:

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
There should be drains at the bottom of the door. Hopefully those aren't clogged. But ya, I'd fix the window seal at the base of the window