GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Just tried this out and it seems like it works partially!

The steering is definitely heavier like sport mode, but my “mode” button doesn’t toggle it on or off. It still just lights up when i press it and then turns off again. I guess I’ll just have to use obd eleven to turn it on or off [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang dude this is almost bugging me as much as it as you. I want to get this fixed haha

Go back to the Bap_Gen2 Adaptations and make sure "charisma_0x17_msg_bus" says "Databus Infotainment"

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

teemmy

Ready to race!
Dang dude this is almost bugging me as much as it as you. I want to get this fixed haha

Go back to the Bap_Gen2 Adaptations and make sure "charisma_0x17_msg_bus" says "Databus Infotainment"

[emoji28] thanks for the help! I just checked and it was set to databus infotainment already, but i did notice that “charisma_0x17” was not active so i activated it...
Nothing changed [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

I think it’s because my MIBII didn’t come from a GTI? I have the “think blue trainer” under my car menu, which i previously didn’t have

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
[emoji28] thanks for the help! I just checked and it was set to databus infotainment already, but i did notice that “charisma_0x17” was not active so i activated it...
Nothing changed [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

I think it’s because my MIBII didn’t come from a GTI? I have the “think blue trainer” under my car menu, which i previously didn’t have

Nah man think blue is on all MIB2's I think.

It's gotta be the Charisma settings on 5f. Let me triple check mine and I'll report back.

Are you sure it is staying activated when you change it? If it didn't yesterday maybe it didn't today either. You might need change to development mode to make the changes stick.

Also, try again to check the long coding in the Gateway. Select Gateway, long coding, then tap the little 0/1 icon in the top right. Then use the little arrows on the bottom of the screen to scroll over to Byte 08, and make sure your settings match the screen shot I posted earlier.

teemmy

Ready to race!
Nah man think blue is on all MIB2's I think.

It's gotta be the Charisma settings on 5f. Let me triple check mine and I'll report back.

Are you sure it is staying activated when you change it? If it didn't yesterday maybe it didn't today either. You might need change to development mode to make the changes stick.

Also, try again to check the long coding in the Gateway. Select Gateway, long coding, then tap the little 0/1 icon in the top right. Then use the little arrows on the bottom of the screen to scroll over to Byte 08, and make sure your settings match the screen shot I posted earlier.

bobbytod

Ok also try one more thing...

In 5f go back to Adaptations but this time select "Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2"

Then look for "charisma_0x17" and change it to activated .

After seeing your posts, i checked my Driving Mode button and it was behaving in the same way - light would go on and off right away, with nothing showing on the new MIB2 display.

I followed your instruction on the screenshot post, which didn't seem to do anything, but after i did the above step (activate "charisma_0x17" in "Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2"), and switching the ignition off and back on, i can confirm the Mode button is working as expected.

I now see the driving mode menu with all modes as i previously had, and can cycle through the options using the Mode button near my gear shifter. The light only stays off when "Normal" is selected.

Thank you!

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
After seeing your posts, i checked my Driving Mode button and it was behaving in the same way - light would go on and off right away, with nothing showing on the new MIB2 display.

I followed your instruction on the screenshot post, which didn't seem to do anything, but after i did the above step (activate "charisma_0x17" in "Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2"), and switching the ignition off and back on, i can confirm the Mode button is working as expected.

I now see the driving mode menu with all modes as i previously had, and can cycle through the options using the Mode button near my gear shifter. The light only stays off when "Normal" is selected.

Thank you!

Awesome man I'm glad it worked!!

Teemmy, I'm positive this has to be your issue too. Try doing what bobbytod did, cycle the ignition after coding. And also try switching to development mode.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
ha. i've totally had a non-functioning driving mode since my swap. now just have to enable development mod on the mib2 to see if i can apply those changes. They didn't take on the unit when i was messing around earlier.

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
ha. i've totally had a non-functioning driving mode since my swap. now just have to enable development mod on the mib2 to see if i can apply those changes. They didn't take on the unit when i was messing around earlier.

make sure you update your gateway to the latest firmware or 3q0 gw, otherwise driving profiles could be functioning less optimal as well. and charisma is important too :)

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
make sure you update your gateway to the latest firmware or 3q0 gw, otherwise driving profiles could be functioning less optimal as well. and charisma is important too :)
How do you update Gateway firmware? This is what I have...old I'm sure but everything works I think.

Screenshot_20190625-192206.jpg

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
i'll check in on that. It'd be curious to update the firmware on gateway. I'm sure i have very early firmware on my car.

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
How do you update Gateway firmware? This is what I have...old I'm sure but everything works I think.

i'll check in on that. It'd be curious to update the firmware on gateway. I'm sure i have very early firmware on my car.

I've had several issues with driving profiles when I had my "old" 5Q0/5QE gateway, but that's me with a hybrid Golf :D
It might help to get new firmware for your gateway, including FPA (Fahrprofil auswahl / driving profiles) datasets if there are any problems after you've enabled the charisma feature. You can update it with ODIS or VCP

lolque

Anyone have the long coding for the Fender (Not Dynaudio) MIB2 Amp (5Q0 035 456) for a Mk7 GTI? I bought one from Aliexpress but it's coded for Dynaudio and it sounds funny with the Fender speakers (wayyy too much treble). I want to do a comparison between the two codings to see if there's a significant difference.

Also anyone have a VAS 5054 that they'd be willing to lend? I'd be happy to pay for shipping both ways.

Last edited:

teemmy

Ready to race!

Thank you!

When you say switching the ignition off and back on, is that while you still have the obd eleven plugged in right after coding and without disconnecting? I don't see how this would be different from fully turning the car off and then turning the car back on after reprogramming...