GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine internals for the 1.8 TSI

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
I would like to get some links to the best type/brand of "small" internal parts for the 1.8 TSI gen3.

I will soon open up the engine to look for signs of wear and also clean it up. I will change all parts affected by wear: piston rings, all bearings (camshaft and conrod), cam followers, and also the pistons if they need it (hopefully not). So please share here the best brands for these parts, so that I know what (not) to order, thanks.

Last edited:

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
I need specific brands for these parts, codes too if possible. In Europe factory parts are most likely different from the US. So I need to know what they are in the US to be able to compare with what I find here.

Also, Mahle is usually regarded as of lesser quality in Europe. Did they make the oem pistons for the pre-facelift 1.8 TSI in the US ?

Last edited:

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
Mahle I have used many times over the years, no problems, good quality. You are asking for a shopping list of basically stock components. You can look all that up yourself. Why should we do the work you could do in a few minutes using Google. Google is your friend!

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
You're not going to find much of selection of non OEM parts for the 1.8 Gen 3. 2.0 is a different story.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
Mahle I have used many times over the years, no problems, good quality. You are asking for a shopping list of basically stock components. You can look all that up yourself. Why should we do the work you could do in a few minutes using Google. Google is your friend!
If you don't want to help, why would you post ? Go troll somewhere else.

If anyone in the US has done this work and knows what are the best brands/types of (small) internal parts for the 1.8 TSI, I would like to get their opinion.

You're not going to find much of selection of non OEM parts for the 1.8 Gen 3. 2.0 is a different story.
Ok, OEM is what I would like to go with too. But I would appreciate some links to "the right stuff", to double check the parts I have available through local suppliers.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If you don't want to help, why would you post ? Go troll somewhere else.

If anyone in the US has done this work and knows what are the best brands/types of (small) internal parts for the 1.8 TSI, I would like to get their opinion.

Ok, OEM is what I would like to go with too. But I would appreciate some links to "the right stuff", to double check the parts I have available through local suppliers.

Why would you expect us to spec out EU parts? Go to a dealer and get the part numbers and then compare to your local suppliers. Sumfuncomet is right you want us to do your homework.

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
Why would you expect us to spec out EU parts? Go to a dealer and get the part numbers and then compare to your local suppliers. Sumfuncomet is right you want us to do your homework.
Who said anything about EU parts ? I expect users who have used these US parts and know which are genuine and which are not, which are better and which are worse, to give me some recommendations. Dealers don't just give numbers unless you also buy their services. Also I've searched OEM parts by VIN for my US model, only to find them available at 3x - 5x the price of the SAME part, but made for a european model. That's why I'm asking for help from people in the US market, who have experience with this model. I'd like to know what they use and what they recommend. If you've got nothing useful to say, better keep it to yourself.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Who said anything about EU parts ? I expect users who have used these US parts and know which are genuine and which are not, which are better and which are worse, to give me some recommendations. Dealers don't just give numbers unless you also buy their services. Also I've searched OEM parts by VIN for my US model, only to find them available at 3x - 5x the price of the SAME part, but made for a european model. That's why I'm asking for help from people in the US market, who have experience with this model. I'd like to know what they use and what they recommend. If you've got nothing useful to say, better keep it to yourself.

Sorry I see in your profile for location EU. An extremely few people who have the 1.8 would bother doing what you are. The dealer parts departments definitely give OEM part numbers.

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
There are some part differences between some engine codes. Recommend hitting up the dealer or ETKA yourself

black forest ind

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
All of them

Hoon

Autocross Champion
This is the most pointless thing I've seen in a long, long time.

Why do you think your engine has excessive wear? Did it fail a compression or leakdown test? Timing chain stretch? Oil pan full of bearing material?

Your planning on spending a ton of money and doing a bunch of labor for no apparent reason, all to replace OEM with OEM. Huh?

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
This is the most pointless thing I've seen in a long, long time.

Why do you think your engine has excessive wear? Did it fail a compression or leakdown test? Timing chain stretch? Oil pan full of bearing material?

Your planning on spending a ton of money and doing a bunch of labor for no apparent reason, all to replace OEM with OEM. Huh?

Yeah I'm reading this thread and shaking my head.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
How many miles does your car have? My e36 328i has 300k miles on it's engine, and I'm not even considering anything like this because it's running fine and not burning oil.