GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EPC Light on IS20 APR tune - wastegate?

The_Belgian

Turbo was installed about three weeks ago, with the stock downpipe and the APR 93 Octane tune. Car was driving very smoothly, with a big punch up top, but my opportunities to do a pull are pretty limited so I really don't beat on the car much at all. Today I had been driving for about one hour at constant speed, had breakfast, and then got back on the highway. As I was settling into cruising speed I turned my AC on and exactly that moment I got an EPC light and the turbo seemed dead. Car still drove fine, but very sluggish. Made it to my destination (was driving for work with two colleagues in the car). When I checked around lunch time I could start without the warning popping up. I feel stupid for just clearing the codes with OBDII, if it happens again I'll definitely not do that. Driving back seemed fine, definitely had the turbo back. Seemed a bit sluggish still but I obviously wasn't pushing it, I wanted to get my colleagues and myself home for the weekend, and it was much warmer than it has been so I should expect a loss of power.

From my searches it seems like it could be a wastegate problem. Anyone know if adjustments can be done through OBDII? Could it be that my tuner / installer forgot the proper wastegate adjustment? I guess I won't be able to get him to admit that anyway... Suggestions for wastegate replacements in case I need one? Are there upgraded versions available?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Turbo was installed about three weeks ago, with the stock downpipe and the APR 93 Octane tune. Car was driving very smoothly, with a big punch up top, but my opportunities to do a pull are pretty limited so I really don't beat on the car much at all. Today I had been driving for about one hour at constant speed, had breakfast, and then got back on the highway. As I was settling into cruising speed I turned my AC on and exactly that moment I got an EPC light and the turbo seemed dead. Car still drove fine, but very sluggish. Made it to my destination (was driving for work with two colleagues in the car). When I checked around lunch time I could start without the warning popping up. I feel stupid for just clearing the codes with OBDII, if it happens again I'll definitely not do that. Driving back seemed fine, definitely had the turbo back. Seemed a bit sluggish still but I obviously wasn't pushing it, I wanted to get my colleagues and myself home for the weekend, and it was much warmer than it has been so I should expect a loss of power.

From my searches it seems like it could be a wastegate problem. Anyone know if adjustments can be done through OBDII? Could it be that my tuner / installer forgot the proper wastegate adjustment? I guess I won't be able to get him to admit that anyway... Suggestions for wastegate replacements in case I need one? Are there upgraded versions available?

It doesn't sound like a WG problem or it would have happened right after the IS20 install unless the lock nut came loose. And the IS20 WG is the best one.

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL
I would check general connections turbo inlet and outlet to make sure nothing is loose or leaking. Could be a boost leak

The_Belgian

The problem has not come back since restarting the car, it's been about one week now. I have not found any loose connections so far.

I would check general connections turbo inlet and outlet to make sure nothing is loose or leaking. Could be a boost leak

mdgolf

I have a similar issue to this (posted a new topic this morning). I received an EPC light and the car felt like it was in limp mode with no turbo, restarted the car and the light went away, engine management light then came on and I had it checked. The fault showed Charge Pressure Control Actuator: Mechanical Malfunction. Car is driving fine and feels ok at the minute, has the problem come back for you?

The_Belgian

Nope, car has been driving great since the initial issue. I went back into OBDII and the cleared codes get saved so I could look it up, it was P00AF00.

I have a similar issue to this (posted a new topic this morning). I received an EPC light and the car felt like it was in limp mode with no turbo, restarted the car and the light went away, engine management light then came on and I had it checked. The fault showed Charge Pressure Control Actuator: Mechanical Malfunction. Car is driving fine and feels ok at the minute, has the problem come back for you?

matzi24

Passed Driver's Ed
I had an issue with my golf. EPC light came on and it was the wastegate. I could turn the car on and off and it would reset but coasting and giving it any gas or trying to go uphill with throttle would kick it on. I hear all different reasons but mine was the wastegate, it failed and was dangling they said. I took the tune off, took it to the dealer and got the turbo replaced under warranty. Just put the tune on yesterday actually. Gave it a thousand miles or some before retuning. I believe I got the same code as well.

The_Belgian

Happened again, see code below. After a restart the car drives perfectly again, just did a 500 mile road trip, full car, with roof box, ac on the whole way, still got 33mpg average over the whole trip cruising 10% over the limit.

Volkswagen Golf Year: 2016 Body type: Variant Engine: CXBA 125 kW (170 HP) 1.8 l Mileage: 58690 KM --------------------------------------------------------------- 01 Engine System description: 1.8l R4 TFSI Software number: 8V0906264F Software version: 0003 Hardware number: 06K907425B Hardware version: H13 ODX name: EV_ECM18TFS0208V0906264F ODX version: 001003 Long coding: 091100122424002F0000 Trouble codes: P00AF00 - Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Control "A" Module Performance Passive Date: 2019-07-05 12:23:53 Mileage: 58611 km Priority: 2 Malfunction frequency counter: 1 Unlearning counter: 255 Engine speed: 1853.75 1/min Normed load value: 24.7 % Vehicle speed: 98 km/h Coolant temperature: 81 °C Intake air temperature: 43 °C Ambient air pressure: 990 mbar Voltage terminal 30: 13.359 V Dynamic environmental data: 2096283EAA003EA85A003EA61DF23EA7000A3EA9270F3EAB5A60180106

JTM65

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 2015 with an IS20 kit on the way. Had the wastegate actuator fault once or twice, but now it is constant and I was planning on the upgrade anyway in a few months. The original turbo has had a very rough life, we will see how the IS20 and APR Stage 2 acts.

MadMen

Ready to race!
Did you get a factory OEM is20 with the original wastegate still on it? Or was the wastegate installed separately?

If you have obdeleven, then check your charge actuator closed position voltage, then perform the first adaptation in basic settings, as it's possible your installer didn't do that.

JTM65

Passed Driver's Ed
I have had boost hold issues since I put the JB1 on around 50k miles ago. The reinitializing the waste gate might help, but I will go ahead and get the upgrade. This is a logical explanation for the erratic performance at times.

Square1

Go Kart Champion
We had an issue with my wife's car. IS20 APR 91 tune. We swapped the plugs and installed an O2 spacer in the downpipe. It seems to have taken care of it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

The_Belgian

Spark plugs and coils where replaced with the turbo install so I'm going to assume for now those are not the problem.

We had an issue with my wife's car. IS20 APR 91 tune. We swapped the plugs and installed an O2 spacer in the downpipe. It seems to have taken care of it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

The_Belgian

Any recommendations for upgraded wastegate?

I have had boost hold issues since I put the JB1 on around 50k miles ago. The reinitializing the waste gate might help, but I will go ahead and get the upgrade. This is a logical explanation for the erratic performance at times.