GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to get rid of old bird poop residue

dpmarc

Passed Driver's Ed
I have these “splotches” on the paint from what looks like old bird poop that wasn’t cleaned off fast enough. It’s hard to see it, but it’s there. I just bought the car and otherwise the paint is in great shape. It’s on 2 places on the hood and about 1” splotches in diameter. What can I do? Thanks!

SRoads

Ready to race!
It doesn't take long in direct sun for etching to occur even on protected paint in direct sunlight.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Polish. Start with a stage 1, then move to stage 2 if needed

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
It doesn't take long in direct sun for etching to occur even on protected paint in direct sunlight.

Polish. Start with a stage 1, then move to stage 2 if needed

Both of these. I had a bird shit on my hood and didnt clean it til the next day and it etched a giant spot on my paint. Grab a DA or microfiber and some Wheaties and use a mild polish such as Chemical Guys V38 of VSS

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
I used some polishing compound, NOT rubbing compound. Follow directions, easy does it, then wax the whole hood or panel. I carry a Meguiars instant detailer spray bottle. When I see the poo, I spray and wipe asap. Really does the trick. The bottle has a locking lid, won’t leak, I keep it in one of my seat back pouches

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
What is it with this clearcoat? I feel like this never happened on my honda (not that they don't have their own paint problems) I went outside one morning to find a huge bomb on my hood, about 4 square inches of crap, and the sun hadn't even hit it yet but it still created a significant etch.

SRoads

Ready to race!
What is it with this clearcoat? I feel like this never happened on my honda (not that they don't have their own paint problems) I went outside one morning to find a huge bomb on my hood, about 4 square inches of crap, and the sun hadn't even hit it yet but it still created a significant etch.

It could just be moisture absorbed by the clear believe it or not car paint is porous to some degree ...clean it carefully, then let it set in the sun for 3-4 hrs to see if it goes away on it's own.

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
We get seagulls, it looks like someone broke a damn egg on your car. Being on the ocean all my life it is Frigging hilarious when one shits on someones head!.......it has happened to me, believe me when I say you want to get your head in ocean water ASAP!

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
I've read of people using a heat gun (carefully) with some success.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
I've read of people using a heat gun (carefully) with some success.

Also hair dryer to start to melt the clear coat so it levels itself out. There are a few Videos on YouTube showing it.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Bird crap sucks, especially after a bird eats berries. Thing is super acidic where the crap can begin etching into paint within 5-10min of making contact.

The other weeekend I had my son help me shred off all berries off this stupid tree on my lawn. I'm at a point I'm going to kill that tree this fall.