GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hatch / tailgate Wiring Loom Grommet / boot repair DIY

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Thought I would share a quick and relatively easy fix for those that have mangled or otherwise broken the very fragile clips holding the grommet / boot between the hatch and upper body. Many have experienced firsthand the ill effects of not having these seal properly due to broken clips.

What I did was find a piece of flexible but sturdy plastic, and cut to shape. Fortunately in this example the clips were not completely broken off. I put the small square of plastic behind the clip and affixed with a small dab of JB Plastic Weld. Let it cure as per the instructions on the tube, then replace. Seals even tighter than new now!

For those who are completely missing the clip, theoretically you just have to find a suitable replacement shaped piece of plastic to plastic weld in place. I have also seen an individual who 3D printed the missing clip.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Thought I would share a quick and relatively easy fix for those that have mangled or otherwise broken the very fragile clips holding the grommet / boot between the hatch and upper body. Many have experienced firsthand the ill effects of not having these seal properly due to broken clips.

What I did was find a piece of flexible but sturdy plastic, and cut to shape. Fortunately in this example the clips were not completely broken off. I put the small square of plastic behind the clip and affixed with a small dab of JB Plastic Weld. Let it cure as per the instructions on the tube, then replace. Seals even tighter than new now!

For those who are completely missing the clip, theoretically you just have to find a suitable replacement shaped piece of plastic to plastic weld in place. I have also seen an individual who 3D printed the missing clip.

Nice! I love solutions like this. Looks pretty robust.

slypete

Hi @HOT H2O

I just wanted to thank you for posting this great idea. I would have never thought of it.

I will be keeping an eye on it, but I think it actually worked! Feels really solid.

Thanks!
Pete

image1 (1).jpeg
image0.jpeg
image2 (1).jpeg

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
man i gotta do this... lol

slypete

cool idea. i can tell you that replacing that boot is a huge pain in the ass. i did the d/s one.

I am praying that it holds up because I don't want to have to go through that process. If this doesn't hold perfectly, I will be replacing it though.

Pete

vwsquibb

Anyone try the 3d print option? I don't know if I still have the missing clip. Thought about buy a new boot and breaking it off and replacing for the left side one that is harder to replace. But would rather not have to take these off.

rooboy

Car(s)
vw golf mk7 2013
Hi,

This solution was a god-send. i snapped the static clips on the other side to the ones in the original post at the top and bottom while running a dashcam (heavy handed i know). i no longer had the original clip pieces so purchased a new grommet from a famous auction site for £10 and cut off the 2 clips and used this method to re-fix them. i am again, thanks to this ingenuity, water tight!!

To be honest you could probably use suitable strong plastic in place of the broken clips but you’d need to be mindful of the height when you attach/glue them as too high or low (depending on which one you are working on) may leave a loose fit.

My method was, sand the surface to a smooth level finish on the grommet. Take the clip (cut and sanded to a smooth finish for a good fit with grommet surface) and superglue it to a suitable bit of plastic that fits in to the grommet next to where the clip should go. Superglue that to the grommet with the clip at the right height and then use plastic weld to keep it all place. Using plastic weld alone didn't work and i think that maybe due to the clip being completely broken and on the other side.

Images aren’t the best but hopefully good enough to show the fix.

Re-opening and closing is not an issue with this method.

IMG_0830.jpeg
IMG_0829.jpeg