GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to Install an Analog Boost Gauge Into Your MK7 GTI / Golf / R

Yeti

Hey GolfMK7,

I've never posted about it, but I own a YouTube channel with a friend for installing things into our GTIs. He owns a CW MK6 6MT GTI and I own a TR 6MT MK7 GTI. I just spent 4 hours editing, compiling, and voice-overing my video on how to install an analog Boost Gauge into a MK7 GTI. I hope you guys enjoy video! If you do, consider looking at our other videos or subscribing/liking!

Last edited:

MKV Arms

I am going to be doing a PODI true blue boost gauge install over the weekend for my MK7. The mechanical piece I am okay, however, it would be nice to understand all the wiring that needs to happen for this gauge. Do you know of any good DIY for the PODI setup?

Yeti

PODI Gauge Install MK7 GTI

I am going to be doing a PODI true blue boost gauge install over the weekend for my MK7. The mechanical piece I am okay, however, it would be nice to understand all the wiring that needs to happen for this gauge. Do you know of any good DIY for the PODI setup?

Just saw your message! Guess it won't be very useful to you now, but hopefully, this will help someone searching:

Best way is to request a wiring diagram from the pod manufacturer. Also, I highly recommend add-a-fuses, It's how I wired my Valentine One radar detector and my boost gauge. They can be purchased at most auto parts stores

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Just saw your message! Guess it won't be very useful to you now, but hopefully, this will help someone searching:

Best way is to request a wiring diagram from the pod manufacturer. Also, I highly recommend add-a-fuses, It's how I wired my Valentine One radar detector and my boost gauge. They can be purchased at most auto parts stores
Say i already used up two active fuse locations for my radar detector and shift light (7.5 and 10 amp fuses). What other fuse can i use for a boost gauge?

Yeti

Say i already used up two active fuse locations for my radar detector and shift light (7.5 and 10 amp fuses). What other fuse can i use for a boost gauge?

Great question! First you’d need to find out if you needed a switched 12V or constant 12V. Then you’d need to look up a wiring diagram and “tap” into a fuse that shares your desired characteristics. I’m not an expert on anything electrical though, it’s actually kind of my weakest knowledge. I hope that helps a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Great question! First you’d need to find out if you needed a switched 12V or constant 12V. Then you’d need to look up a wiring diagram and “tap” into a fuse that shares your desired characteristics. I’m not an expert on anything electrical though, it’s actually kind of my weakest knowledge. I hope that helps a bit.

I need a constant according to the instructions supplied with my gauge. Perhaps I have the wrong notion, but constant means there's a voltage applied even with the ignition off. Which means electricity will be drained even when the car is off.

Yeti

I need a constant according to the instructions supplied with my gauge. Perhaps I have the wrong notion, but constant means there's a voltage applied even with the ignition off. Which means electricity will be drained even when the car is off.

Yes that is correct. Your OBD II port for example is constant, which is why my battery died when i kept my scanner plugged in for a week. I said “wiring diagram” previously but I meant fusebox diagram. There are constant fuses in there if I recall correctly.