GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

removing light scratches from Englishtown

jalalor

I just got a set of used Englishtown 19s that I plan on putting on my GTI. They are in great shape, but have some minor scratches form careless handling/storage. I have never detailed any wheels beyond basic washing with simplegreen. I am looking for input on how to proceed. If you can answer my questions bellow or point me to the right direction that would be fantastic.

• Would using Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish with one of those Foam Polishing Cones do the trick ?
  • Once they are as scaratchfree as possible, what is the best way to seal them ?
  • For my own info, are those clear coated ?

thanks!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Post some pictures so we can see how bad (or good) they are,
Yes they are clear coated, they are painted black, then diamond cut and finished with a tough clear coat, don’t use metal polish on them, if it’s the diamond cut face that is scratched and they are anything more than light surface scratches you would likely need to rub them back and re coat with clear coat, this would remove the ‘turned’ diamond cut effect on those sections though! scratches through the top coat (even if polished away) will let moisture in if deep enough, resulting in white worm corrosion eventually!

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
How far down the rabbit hole so you want to go?

You just need something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guy...nd+polish+pad&qid=1559927210&s=gateway&sr=8-3

And this:

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G19...guiars+polish&qid=1559927337&s=gateway&sr=8-1

I know you can get the Megs anywhere but not sure you can get hand polishing pads at autoparts stores. You could use any polishing pad though TBH. An orange one would be perfect. Wheels don't need to be crystal clear IMO so the white and black are overkill. Doubt you would ever notice using all 3 vs just the orange. Not a show car and not $5k wheels.

Couldn't hurt to grab a clay bar and lube to pull out any stuff from the clearcoat before polishing but again, wheels. Probably not necessary. Just get em super clean and have at it.

jalalor

How far down the rabbit hole so you want to go?

You just need something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guy...nd+polish+pad&qid=1559927210&s=gateway&sr=8-3

And this:

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G19...guiars+polish&qid=1559927337&s=gateway&sr=8-1

I know you can get the Megs anywhere but not sure you can get hand polishing pads at autoparts stores. You could use any polishing pad though TBH. An orange one would be perfect. Wheels don't need to be crystal clear IMO so the white and black are overkill. Doubt you would ever notice using all 3 vs just the orange. Not a show car and not $5k wheels.

Couldn't hurt to grab a clay bar and lube to pull out any stuff from the clearcoat before polishing but again, wheels. Probably not necessary. Just get em super clean and have at it.

the wheels are in the garage now and they have no tires on them, so it is now or never. Once they get put on the car, I won't care nearly as much.

thanks for all the help.

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
Make sure you really clean them 100% first, don't want to be grinding brake dust in while polishing or you'll just be making more work for yourself. I cleaned the wheel weights and goop off my austin's barrels the day before getting new tires and definitely swirled the hell out of those areas.

jalalor

Quick update,

I got the 3 Meguiar's Ultimate products (compound, polish, wax) and a 3" pad to put at the end of my drill. I went at it slowly one wheel at a time. They came out so good that I can hardly see any scratches. I even got out some funky tiny defects in the paint that likely came that way from the factory.

They are actually so shiny now that I got dizzy last night due to the light reflections in my shop. The only bad part is that I have exactly zero chance to keep them that clean once they are on the road.