GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Paint gone under grommet Service Lift Points?

wlfpck

Ready to race!
On the bottom of the car, there are grommets on the "frame rail" near the rear of the vehicle (between the front and rear wheels, right before you get to the rear wheel).

These grommets are circles and there are 2 on each side near each other. This is basically what you would have before you do this:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13278&stc=1&d=1484062269

Item No. 22 is the jack pad that you can install if you pop the 2 grommets out.

Reason I ask is by 1 grommet, the paint has been completely gouged out. Bare metal is showing. I plan on hitting it with paint to make sure it doesn't rust.

Is this the lift point that the service techs use? Just seems odd as part of the paint that's gouged out was covered up by the OEM grommets. Also only was on one of the grommet holes. :|

Last edited:

wlfpck

Ready to race!
Here's a picture. I had to pull the grommet to the side to be able to get a photo of the whole scratch/gouge. Grommet sits over part of it.

TrueGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Here's a picture. I had to pull the grommet to the side to be able to get a photo of the whole scratch/gouge. Grommet sits over part of it.

I guess be happy they used the jack points. After the first time I brought my car to the dealer and already being hesitant about it. I jacked the car up to do some work. As I was jacking it up to fit stands I noticed that on both sides of the undercarriage plastics were destroyed. From them just kicking the lift arms under the car without even looking for the jack points.

wlfpck

Ready to race!
I guess be happy they used the jack points. After the first time I brought my car to the dealer and already being hesitant about it. I jacked the car up to do some work. As I was jacking it up to fit stands I noticed that on both sides of the undercarriage plastics were destroyed. From them just kicking the lift arms under the car without even looking for the jack points.

Gotcha, so these are the jack points that the dealership lifts use?

Kinda weird that only one side is damaged. There is a spot in the rubber undercoating next to it (kinda like SEM Chipguard material) that looks like it didn't get applied completely since the edges are smooth and not ripped like something slipped and ripped a chunk out. Will have to get a picture later.

wlfpck

Ready to race!
Think I figured it out. These scrapes and stuff are not where they jack the car up with.

However, the scrapes and such are made by the really long arm of the car jack that dealership use. The car is lifted from the jack points on the pinch weld, however, the arm is long enough that the corner of the end of the arm can hit the bottom of the car which causes the gouges and scratches.

If the scrapes/scratches are through the gray primer/e-coat, it can rust unless you cover it up with paint.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Dealers use all sorts of lift points with their 2 post lift. Another reason why I never take my cars to the dealer for service. You got off pretty easy by them just tearing your paint off, some will literally bend your pinch welds, even side sills/floor board because they don't pay much attention.

wlfpck

Ready to race!
Yeah.... my thing was more of a what in the world is happening here?!?!?

I didn't even think that it was done by the dealership. Wasn't till I took it in for them to take pictures and send it off to the regional master tech or whoever, that I noticed their lift had ripped a small chunk of undercoating off the passenger side.

That's when it clicked like oh... that's what happened... :|

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
about to fit jack pad kit and under my car on 1 grommet iver side is down to metal I think it’s where it’s on the assembly line , I check 4 others cars today and they all the same under the grommets. His a photo but u can’t see much in it

Attachments

• 7D88A85F-8D48-4A95-98E1-7B2941CCBFA5.jpeg
    7D88A85F-8D48-4A95-98E1-7B2941CCBFA5.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 108

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
check your service manual and use the intended "jacking" points....unless you have removed the grommets and installed correct lifting pads
Rear-Jack-pads.jpg

Last edited: