GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf GTI Coolant Temperature rises and drops P00B7

UNKN0WN1

I have a MK7 GTI PP 2013, I had a 30 mile trip recently and noticed the check engine light pop up and the temperature gauge was at 125 (Celsius) degrees. I immediately parked it up and there was no signs of overheating, restarted the car after some time and it went up to around 90 as it should then when my start-stop tried to kick in there was a start-stop error and it made the temperature gauge go all the way down to the bottom 0/50. I tapped the "More info" button on the vehicle status part on the screen and it just said "Error: Start-stop" with no additional information.

Since I've bought it back home I checked for faults and got two P00B7 error codes (Insufficient Engine Cooling / Coolant Flow) initially, 16464 & 15470 with another error code P2681. I thought it must have something to do with the coolant sensor since it was going up and down abnormally. E.g. would rise to 75 degrees, drop down to 60 whilst the engine is running, then it would rise back up and continue to do the same thing in increments depending on how long the engine is running. So the coolant sensors been changed and the P2681 error didn't show up anymore but the two P00B7 errors still persist with the engine light still on. Anyone got any advice, I am wondering if there is more than one temperature sensor that may affect the gauge? I'm hoping it's not a thermostat or water pump issue as it is outside of the warranty now and there's no apparent leaks or a/c problems, runs smoothly as it was. The only thing that's different is the coolant temperature gauge rising and dropping.

Last edited:

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Fraction of the price if you don't use a dealer. SDWAutomotive in Stafford does all my work I can't do and he is £40/hour +vat instead of £120/hour or more +VAT.

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
My 16 gti got silly yesterday with the same p00b7 code. Car parked all day, drove 5 minutes, turned it off for 10. Turned it on to the 4k rpm message and epc light. Temp went up fast. Turned it off for 10 minutes and it was fine. Gotta take it in. Should still be in the cpo warranty.

Last edited:

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
New expansion tank didn't work for me.

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
So far coolant temperature sensor for $3 fixed mine. Been 4 days without issue. Message me if you need more info.

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
Spoke too soon. Changed the battery after getting home today. Started her up and got tpms light. Took her for a quick lap. Tpms turned off quick but as soon as i rolled into the garage, temperature rose past halfway. Shut her off, cleared the p00b7 code, turned back on and normal. I still think it's a sensor. Maybe the one inside the pump. So i guess technically pump is next part to buy.

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
Lol 20 minute drive in 80 degree weather this morning, water and oil temp never passed 150f.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Lol 20 minute drive in 80 degree weather this morning, water and oil temp never passed 150f.

After a 20 minute drive in 80 degree weather they both should be around 200 degrees. Maybe 220 for the oil.

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
I think my thermostat is now sticking open overcooling the engine. If that's the case, then the p00b7 code would allude to the stat sticking closed. Neither way is good to drive around with but I'd rather be too cool until i can have vw warranty it.

But yea, the water at 200 and oil up to 220 are my normal numbers.

spacc

Car(s)
VW Passat wagon B8
Hi buddy

How did you go at the end?
Did you fix the issue?
Is that a sensor problem? Which sensor? Or whole water pump needs to be replaced.

I had replaced water pump 2 years ago. Last night, exact same issue happened to mine. No leak, oil level and coolant level were both ok.

This morning, I went to a mechanic, cleared the code. On the way to work, water temperature suddenly jump from 90 C degree to 115. The fan works hard ass, I can hear it while driving in the car.

Much appreciate for your help.

Thanks

spacc

Car(s)
VW Passat wagon B8
I think my thermostat is now sticking open overcooling the engine. If that's the case, then the p00b7 code would allude to the stat sticking closed. Neither way is good to drive around with but I'd rather be too cool until i can have vw warranty it.

But yea, the water at 200 and oil up to 220 are my normal numbers.