GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK 7.5 Mirror cap installation issue

gtinewbie1

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone else buy mirror caps from Aliexpress? I can’t get the passenger side mirror cap to snap in correctly. The driver side is the original and I can get it on and off no issue but the replacement seems to be ill fitting. Any ideas on how to get it to sit correctly? Or where I can buy caps that are not over $100. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
I didn't have issues with the caps that came with my power folding mirrors from Aliexpress.

Is there a bent tab or something that's preventing it from moving more and locking? Try to see what's going on behind the glass if you haven't already.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Ditto on the above post. My caps from them snapped on easily. The passenger side only needed a little help from a small screwdriver to better align the inside tab.

gtinewbie1

Passed Driver's Ed
Ditto on the above post. My caps from them snapped on easily. The passenger side only needed a little help from a small screwdriver to better align the inside tab.

Its aligned but it won’t go all the way in no matter how hard I push.

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
Have a look at the edge of the cap where it goes under the black rim. I bought some cheap mirror caps and one needed quite a bit of excess plastic trimmed off the inside top edge before it would fit properly. If you aren't sure how much to trim off have a look at the OEM cap.

eXult

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI SE 6MT
Its aligned but it won’t go all the way in no matter how hard I push.

Same issue with the black ones I ordered. The left one is perfect, right one sits like yours. It doesn't fall off, neither does water get in there. Problem is, now there's enough space for the wind to get in, so my right side mirror whistles lol