GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Off-Topic Discussions > OFF-TOPIC Lounge


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2019, 04:25 PM   #1
Burner
Senior Member
 
Drives: 18 GTI Autobahn
Location: Lake Minnetonka
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 145
E92 (s65) Rod Bearing Failure

Entertaining read. I had e92 M3 for about one year and I didnít sleep well knowing rod bearing failure was haunting my nightmares. This guy thought outside the box and gets called out for his fraudulent doings.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1610380

Last edited by Burner; 05-17-2019 at 06:21 PM.
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:09 PM   #2
MonkeyMD
Senior Member
 
MonkeyMD's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 VW Golf Tsi S Manual
Location: Central Tx
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 2,237
That is one cluster f@*#
Did not expect all of that.
MonkeyMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:15 PM   #3
Hoon
Senior Member
 
Hoon's Avatar
 
Drives: '17 GTI, Sequoia, Turbo Gixxer
Location: Rhode Island
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,219
He gets an A for effort but an F for execution.

In defense of his fraud, it's absurd that this wouldn't be covered by BMW for a very extended period of time. BMW incorrectly clearanced their rod bearings and then specd 60 weight oil which couldn't maintain flow through such a tight gap.
Hoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:35 PM   #4
Burner
Senior Member
 
Drives: 18 GTI Autobahn
Location: Lake Minnetonka
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoon View Post
He gets an A for effort but an F for execution.

In defense of his fraud, it's absurd that this wouldn't be covered by BMW for a very extended period of time. BMW incorrectly clearanced their rod bearings and then specd 60 weight oil which couldn't maintain flow through such a tight gap.
Yup , classic BMW pushing the limits of tech and pretending all is well. I did love this car , bought a mint car with 28k miles on it and always (always) worried that thing blow.
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 03:04 PM   #5
JerseyDrew77
Senior Member
 
JerseyDrew77's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Location: Virginia & NC
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,393
That's why I love the E46 M3's, especially the CSL model! That inline 6 is such a great motor and throw on a nice big turbo and have fun!
__________________
Breaking V8 hearts and dreams!
JerseyDrew77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 04:19 PM   #6
Burner
Senior Member
 
Drives: 18 GTI Autobahn
Location: Lake Minnetonka
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyDrew77 View Post
That's why I love the E46 M3's, especially the CSL model! That inline 6 is such a great motor and throw on a nice big turbo and have fun!
You got your own set of problems : as nice as the s54 is , it has plenty of problems, vanos, cooling just to name a couple. Cant forget the biggest one of all “Subframe” issues. No walk in the park. You got go to E36 for somewhat reliable M3
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 04:47 PM   #7
Hoon
Senior Member
 
Hoon's Avatar
 
Drives: '17 GTI, Sequoia, Turbo Gixxer
Location: Rhode Island
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner View Post
You got your own set of problems : as nice as the s54 is , it has plenty of problems, vanos, cooling just to name a couple. Cant forget the biggest one of all “Subframe” issues. No walk in the park. You got go to E36 for somewhat reliable M3
I welded the subframe reinforcements into my E46.

The early ones (2001) had rod bearing failures also...but the S54 is one if my all time favorite engines. The N/A throttle response with ITBs was so damn crispy, high redline, etc.
Hoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:24 PM   #8
Burner
Senior Member
 
Drives: 18 GTI Autobahn
Location: Lake Minnetonka
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoon View Post
I welded the subframe reinforcements into my E46.

The early ones (2001) had rod bearing failures also...but the S54 is one if my all time favorite engines. The N/A throttle response with ITBs was so damn crispy, high redline, etc.
No doubt , this the problem with BMW - make a some the best motors around, but always have issues due to over engineering. Iíve been suckered six times with bimmer , perfect when run right but always worried about them. It Was time to leave and find other manufacturers
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:27 PM   #9
MonkeyMD
Senior Member
 
MonkeyMD's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 VW Golf Tsi S Manual
Location: Central Tx
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 2,237
Last update on that thread was may 16th. Was it locked?
MonkeyMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:51 PM   #10
Hoon
Senior Member
 
Hoon's Avatar
 
Drives: '17 GTI, Sequoia, Turbo Gixxer
Location: Rhode Island
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner View Post
No doubt , this the problem with BMW - make a some the best motors around, but always have issues due to over engineering. Iíve been suckered six times with bimmer , perfect when run right but always worried about them. It Was time to leave and find other manufacturers
One of the main issues I have with BMW is the same types of recurring problems plague them for generations. How hard is it to build a decent cooling system? Solid subframe mounts on a sports car? Rod bearings that don't shred themselves? Timing assemblies that last more than 100k miles? VVT systems that don't rattle apart?

Why do you get all of these things with a $20K Toyota but not a $60K BMW?
Hoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:50 PM   #11
Burner
Senior Member
 
Drives: 18 GTI Autobahn
Location: Lake Minnetonka
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoon View Post
One of the main issues I have with BMW is the same types of recurring problems plague them for generations. How hard is it to build a decent cooling system? Solid subframe mounts on a sports car? Rod bearings that don't shred themselves? Timing assemblies that last more than 100k miles? VVT systems that don't rattle apart?

Why do you get all of these things with a $20K Toyota but not a $60K BMW?
Toyota has always been on another level with quality control -they practically invented the words “quality control” .BMW has high standards too, just different philosophies apparently continuous improvement ..
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:56 AM   #12
Burner
Senior Member
 
Drives: 18 GTI Autobahn
Location: Lake Minnetonka
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoon View Post
One of the main issues I have with BMW is the same types of recurring problems plague them for generations. How hard is it to build a decent cooling system? Solid subframe mounts on a sports car? Rod bearings that don't shred themselves? Timing assemblies that last more than 100k miles? VVT systems that don't rattle apart?

Why do you get all of these things with a $20K Toyota but not a $60K BMW?
Actually looking into a Lotus Elise for weekend toy in the next year or so. Toyota 2zz motor that over revs to 9k works for me.
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.