GOLFMKV

E92 (s65) Rod Bearing Failure

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
That is one cluster f@*#
Did not expect all of that.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
He gets an A for effort but an F for execution.

In defense of his fraud, it's absurd that this wouldn't be covered by BMW for a very extended period of time. BMW incorrectly clearanced their rod bearings and then specd 60 weight oil which couldn't maintain flow through such a tight gap.

Burner1

Ready to race!
He gets an A for effort but an F for execution.

In defense of his fraud, it's absurd that this wouldn't be covered by BMW for a very extended period of time. BMW incorrectly clearanced their rod bearings and then specd 60 weight oil which couldn't maintain flow through such a tight gap.

Yup , classic BMW pushing the limits of tech and pretending all is well. I did love this car , bought a mint car with 28k miles on it and always (always) worried that thing blow.

Burner1

Ready to race!
That's why I love the E46 M3's, especially the CSL model! That inline 6 is such a great motor and throw on a nice big turbo and have fun!

You got your own set of problems : as nice as the s54 is , it has plenty of problems, vanos, cooling just to name a couple. Cant forget the biggest one of all “Subframe” issues. No walk in the park. You got go to E36 for somewhat reliable M3

Hoon

Autocross Champion
You got your own set of problems : as nice as the s54 is , it has plenty of problems, vanos, cooling just to name a couple. Cant forget the biggest one of all “Subframe” issues. No walk in the park. You got go to E36 for somewhat reliable M3

I welded the subframe reinforcements into my E46.

The early ones (2001) had rod bearing failures also...but the S54 is one if my all time favorite engines. The N/A throttle response with ITBs was so damn crispy, high redline, etc.

Burner1

Ready to race!
I welded the subframe reinforcements into my E46.

The early ones (2001) had rod bearing failures also...but the S54 is one if my all time favorite engines. The N/A throttle response with ITBs was so damn crispy, high redline, etc.
No doubt , this the problem with BMW - make a some the best motors around, but always have issues due to over engineering. I’ve been suckered six times with bimmer , perfect when run right but always worried about them. It Was time to leave and find other manufacturers

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Last update on that thread was may 16th. Was it locked?

Hoon

Autocross Champion
No doubt , this the problem with BMW - make a some the best motors around, but always have issues due to over engineering. I’ve been suckered six times with bimmer , perfect when run right but always worried about them. It Was time to leave and find other manufacturers

One of the main issues I have with BMW is the same types of recurring problems plague them for generations. How hard is it to build a decent cooling system? Solid subframe mounts on a sports car? Rod bearings that don't shred themselves? Timing assemblies that last more than 100k miles? VVT systems that don't rattle apart?

Why do you get all of these things with a $20K Toyota but not a $60K BMW?

Burner1

Ready to race!
One of the main issues I have with BMW is the same types of recurring problems plague them for generations. How hard is it to build a decent cooling system? Solid subframe mounts on a sports car? Rod bearings that don't shred themselves? Timing assemblies that last more than 100k miles? VVT systems that don't rattle apart?

Toyota has always been on another level with quality control -they practically invented the words “quality control” .BMW has high standards too, just different philosophies apparently continuous improvement ..

Burner1

Ready to race!

Actually looking into a Lotus Elise for weekend toy in the next year or so. Toyota 2zz motor that over revs to 9k works for me.