GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jack pads to protect pinch welds?

Verichai

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some sort of jack pad to use when lifting my GTI with my floor jack, but I'm not sure which style I need or what the specs should be. For example, how wide/deep does the slot on the pad need to be? Does anyone have one they are using that works well? I do not want to have to modify a hockey puck or anything like that, I'm looking for something off the shelf. Thanks!

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Look up "slotted jack pad" on Amazon. I just use a hockey puck not even slotted, my pinch welds look fine.

vw671

Autocross Newbie
My design

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2846484

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
I have used these.
Just make sure opening large enough for pinch weld.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
I have the zl1addons one for my 5th gen camaro ss. I’ve been wondering if there were some for the mk7.5 golf r

vw671

Autocross Newbie
Cool design! I've never 3D printed anything. About how much would one cost in PLA or ABS?

There are many online 3D printing services that will give you quotes, just download the STL file and use it to generate a quote. Make sure you quote that it's printed with 100% infill this is extremely important unless you want your car to fall on you.

Rocketdog

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I just installed the reverselogic jackpads on my Mk7 GTI today. I picked this set because it had a magnetic tool that temporarily secures the tool to the jack pad insert which is reinforced with an embedded metal disc.

https://www.reverselogic.us/shop.html#!/Audi-VW-Jack-Pad-Tool-
Bundle/p/101276951/category=5710065&forcescroll=true

Instead of the pricey Audi cover kit (covered elsewhere on this site), I just cut holes (with a hole saw) for the front covers.

See the ECS site for an install video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMS2fUDiWhU

In that video they appear to just leave the front cover off after removing it. That or their pads don't protrude as much as the reverselogic ones, so maybe the cover fits over the pads... No cover on the rear pads. You just have to pop out plug to get them in (two plastic plugs, one on each side).

The fronts popped in easily. The rears took some effort since the surface, I think, is slightly concave. Or the hole is smaller... I sprayed the rubber part of the insert with silicone and used a hydraulic lift to pop them in (front and back). I applied medium pressure with the jack and twisted them a bit to get the rear ones in. It took more time/effort than I thought it would. But that's always the case with my projects.

I think it is best to insert the rubber portion in the frame by itself in case the rubber/plastic combo doesn't seat. (The plastic part pops in easily.) It's a pain to pry the plastic insert out once it pops in the rubber part. And the rubber tabs won't contract enough to get in the frame hole once the plastic insert is seated, especially on the rear in my case.

Here's a photo of the front with the hole cutout. And the rear, which has no cover...

Attachments

• reverse_logic_1936.jpg
    reverse_logic_1936.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 951
  • RL_rear_1950.jpg
    RL_rear_1950.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 1,046

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some sort of jack pad to use when lifting my GTI with my floor jack, but I'm not sure which style I need or what the specs should be. For example, how wide/deep does the slot on the pad need to be? Does anyone have one they are using that works well? I do not want to have to modify a hockey puck or anything like that, I'm looking for something off the shelf. Thanks!

When I'm just using my hydraulic jack to lift a corner, I just use a hocky puck without slot and place directly under the pinchweld lift point.

I recently got a set of Rennstands for my hydraulic and they do eat away at the pinch weld rust proofing (the material gets pinched between the car and the metal stand platform, so I will be touching that up with Fluid Film later on.

mindonmatter

Ready to race!
When I'm just using my hydraulic jack to lift a corner, I just use a hocky puck without slot and place directly under the pinchweld lift point.

I recently got a set of Rennstands for my hydraulic and they do eat away at the pinch weld rust proofing (the material gets pinched between the car and the metal stand platform, so I will be touching that up with Fluid Film later on.

Hockey puck ftw. No slot needed. Use it in the same position each time and it will create it's own slot after a few uses.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Amazon has several pads to choose from for cheap.
Hockey puck ftw. No slot needed. Use it in the same position each time and it will create it's own slot after a few uses.
Run it over a table saw and you'll have a clean groove.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk