GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
I send a message to the seller about compatibility and he answered this “System will work perfect on your car. But there is no USA maps for this MIB2.5 system. But you can use google maps through connected mobile phone”.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I send a message to the seller about compatibility and he answered this “System will work perfect on your car. But there is no USA maps for this MIB2.5 system. But you can use google maps through connected mobile phone”.
If there are no maps for the US then I'm out. The only reason I want nav is for the display in the aid. I'm currently MIB 2 retrofit non-nav. Also currently have a nav unit on the way. None of the 2019s here in the states come with MIB 2.5?

Edit: the MIB 2.5 retrofit for sale on EurozoneTuning says unit is euro-spec so no XM radio but will come with North American maps installed.
Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
the MIB 2.5 retrofit for sale on EurozoneTuning says unit is euro-spec so no XM radio but will come with North American maps installed.

I find very hard to accept that they want $2449 for it...

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Eurozone prices are insane. You pay for the convenience.

What is the part # for the MIB2 brain with Nav? I'm in the same boat as you, Cuzoe. Have the itch for AID but not worth it without Nav.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Their prices are generally high, customer service is good though. They're very responsive to questions over email and didn't push me to buy anything. For what it's worth the MIB 2 brain with nav that's on the way to my house is from them.

Their new price was within $30 of the used ones I see up on eBay. I wouldn't expect much mark up on this though, considering they aren't providing any convenience (bezels, cables, etc).

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Sent another message to that seller asking if any information on getting US maps, maybe an SD card part number. They said NA maps are not available for MIB 2.5. Yet both EurozoneTuning and APG sell this retrofit and say they will load the proper maps. I'm going to reach out to both of them to see if maps are available for North America, something isn't jiving.

Edit: EurozoneTuning got right back to me (they are really good about this) and said that MIB 2.5 is not offered in North America (which I suppose we know) so there is currently no way to get maps. However, the software they use allows them to load North American maps (so they do exist in some form, or their software is able to load MIB II maps) but the unit would need to be sent to them for future map updates. Software updates they can do remotely (not sure how, maybe VAS).

Last edited:

aditud

Passed Driver's Ed
BTW, I managed to get the last 8" display and trim from eurozone. I will install next week after it arrives.

So, if anyone is interested, I will have a euro-spec 6.5" MIB2 display for sale. It's part 3G0919605 (no H), the one with "radio", "mute" and "setup" instead of "band", "voice" and "mute" (see pictures in the original post of this thread). The brushed aluminum trim with vents will be available too.

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
So I have a weird one....been going through the thread but there is a lot to take in hopefully someone may help me my issue kinda falls in here.....

I have a 2017 Alltrack SE....it came with an MIB 2. Everything is there and all coding is there. Everything was working....

Cut to now being an Alltrack with a GTi motor and ECU. After the swap and obviously all the fun trying to get the electronics working I am now getting the "App-Connect- You can activate the function by buying an activation key from your dealer" I have no App Connect or bluetooth now.

Normally I would go to the dealer and they would just get it to work since the car came equipped with it and only has 8k so it would be warrantied....BUT now with the GTi ECU I can't get the car scanned. From what I know the procedure would basically having the car authenticated by the VW mothership......

Sooooo I'm curious if there may be a work around for me? If people can retro fit then there has to be a way for me to get up and running again especially since I have all the components and coding

Last edited:

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Yea I'd contact Jack, I'm sure he can do it. Essentially it's the same thing as putting a MIB2 in a different car - except you put a new car into a MIB2 [emoji23]

You'll need a VAS5054a

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
Yea I'd contact Jack, I'm sure he can do it. Essentially it's the same thing as putting a MIB2 in a different car - except you put a new car into a MIB2 [emoji23]

You'll need a VAS5054a

This is what I was hoping. Um. But stupid question. Who’s jack haha

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Rotaryknight said:
This is what I was hoping. Um. But stupid question. Who’s jack haha

I have been told by a few people that I don't know Jack:). Jack Kirry is a gentlemen who is a subject matter expert and has a commercial account with VW so can connect to mother ship and reinstall functional enablement codes and align everything to your VIN. Jack charges a reasonable hourly rate and when everything is working you settle up. He is contacted through Skype and Skype name is jacekk993. You will need a VAS5054. Jack is referenced in the initial thread and throughout this thread.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I just had a session with Jack this morning to code my retrofit MIB 2 unit (again)... Went from a non nav unit to a nav unit in preparation for AID retrofit... Which he is also going to program for me. Great work and great to work with.