GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic Stage 1 Tune Review?

Rpt

Passed Driver's Ed
I know it sounds weird, but I felt more HP from the transition from 1.5 to 2.0 versus stock to 1.5. Probably just my mind. But I really love stage 2. It still doesn't pull as strong as my trusty old G35 used to, but it's really really nice.

I have the Unitronic intercooler sitting in my garage and will be installing that soon. I'm waiting on Unitronic to release their stage 3, then will probably do that...

Totally agree with you on this part Paul.
I thought 1 was quick but the top end shocked me when I went to 2.0.
It was a 6mt r

Curious to see how my dsg will do now too.

noktrnl2

I'm currently at 15k on my 17 GTI 6mt Autobahn with pp. Would it be a good idea to go Unitronic +1 from stock?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

austexrocker

This thread has been dead for a year but maybe I'll get a bite. I just took advantage of spring sale and got the Stage 1+ and TCU tune. I have never seen and stats on gains for a car that came with PP. Probably a newb question, but I guess it's safe to assume that there would be equivalent gains over the stock PP HP?

GTISEVEN

Passed Driver's Ed
Stage 1+ ECU /TCU

Huge gain over stock PP...I guess PP stock is just 10-15 more than stock GTI....and if you tune a PP its same as tuned GTI
This thread has been dead for a year but maybe I'll get a bite. I just took advantage of spring sale and got the Stage 1+ and TCU tune. I have never seen and stats on gains for a car that came with PP. Probably a newb question, but I guess it's safe to assume that there would be equivalent gains over the stock PP HP?

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
Bump! Want to hear from MK7.5 owners who have gone Stage 1+ from stock. I am thinking of doing this soon.

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
Do yourself a favor and go with a Cobb AP and EQT for tuning.

Any reason why you like Cobb more? I was under the impression that a Unitronic 1+ tune was more aggressive than a 1+ Cobb tune. Never heard of Equilibrium tuning and will research.

My engine-related "mods" are:
  • AFE Pro-S dry drop-in filter w/ stock airbox
  • Snowguard screen removal
  • Drilled out driver's side air intake opening
  • Closed off passenger side rear intake w/ OEM blocking plate
  • CTS Turbo muffler delete
  • ECS High Flow Turbo Inlet Pipe
Any feedback is highly welcomed as I am not 100% married to one particular tuner just yet and just now researching.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Take Jim's advice as a combined solution - Cobb AP AND EQT to tune it.

Cobb OTS tunes are garbage according to many. Unitronic tunes (as awesome as they are) don't leave you with room to grow as much.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Any reason why you like Cobb more? I was under the impression that a Unitronic 1+ tune was more aggressive than a 1+ Cobb tune. Never heard of Equilibrium tuning and will research.

My engine-related "mods" are:
  • AFE Pro-S dry drop-in filter w/ stock airbox
  • Snowguard screen removal
  • Drilled out driver's side air intake opening
  • Closed off passenger side rear intake w/ OEM blocking plate
  • CTS Turbo muffler delete
  • ECS High Flow Turbo Inlet Pipe
Any feedback is highly welcomed as I am not 100% married to one particular tuner just yet and just now researching.

EQT is generally regarded as the best tuner for the GTI. If you read the various threads you will see why I say that. And being on the Cobb platform gives you the flexibility to flash the tunes yourself without going to a dealer or needing a computer to flash a tune.

WynGti20

Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
I'm sorry for not posting somewhere else but it seemed there are multiple companies being discussed here so feel this query is fine here: I just got 2020 GTI and going with the following upgrades :
1. Integrated Engineering stage 1 ECU tune,
2. IE DSG Tune,
3. drop in filter,
4. remove snowshield for now, possibly adjust intake later but I know it's not really worth it unless I go to a stage 2 tune.

Qs:
1. is there anything else I should do with stage 1 that mashes a real difference? (I have decided against TMD, and other minor bolt ons for now.

2. How do you all like IE tunes?

Thanks guys.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
1. is there anything else I should do with stage 1 that mashes a real difference?

I would say definitely get an intercooler.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
I'm sorry for not posting somewhere else but it seemed there are multiple companies being discussed here so feel this query is fine here: I just got 2020 GTI and going with the following upgrades :
1. Integrated Engineering stage 1 ECU tune,
2. IE DSG Tune,
3. drop in filter,
4. remove snowshield for now, possibly adjust intake later but I know it's not really worth it unless I go to a stage 2 tune.

Qs:
1. is there anything else I should do with stage 1 that mashes a real difference? (I have decided against TMD, and other minor bolt ons for now.

2. How do you all like IE tunes?

Thanks guys.
It doesn't seem like this matter to you, but have you considered that an ecu/TCU flash voids your drivetrain warranty?

Your car is brand new.