GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Would you do it all over again?

jevenator

I was curious to hear from you all. I’m currently looking into get into a mk7 GTI soon myself and have been reading the various discussions here. From the clutch dying too quickly with a apr tune to random rattles that seem to appear out of nowhere.

Current or former owners of a GTI: why did you want to get one and now that you have one, if you could return back to the day you bought it would you sign your name again for the deal? Why or why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stillwellm10

Ready to race!
All generations of my family owned a VW at some point in their lifetime. I was hooked on my dads MKV GTI for the longest time. I would always take it under his nose because the pure joy that it brought me was unlike any other car that I had driven. I knew when buying my first car it was going to be a VW. I settled on a 2016 VW Golf SE w/LP which to me was the perfect. Sure it doesn't have the added HP or the great DSG gearbox, but for my financial needs it was the happy medium. I've since done a lot of OEM+ upgrades to really make the car my own. Not to mention the great community that we have here, and other platforms alike. I've simply made the best friendships from the VW community, and that in itself is priceless. I would sign my name on the dotted line 100X over.

DP03

Ready to race!
I was curious to hear from you all. I’m currently looking into get into a mk7 GTI soon myself and have been reading the various discussions here. From the clutch dying too quickly with a apr tune to random rattles that seem to appear out of nowhere.

Current or former owners of a GTI: why did you want to get one and now that you have one, if you could return back to the day you bought it would you sign your name again for the deal? Why or why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
At this price point I would definitely buy the GTI given a 2nd chance. The clutch issues are self inflicted (tune) and you have to realize many of us have never had squeeks or rattles. I have $32,500 into my S2 GTI and I can't think of anything else I'd rather have for that amount of money.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
DSG can handle a tremendous amount more torque than the manual transmission assembly. That's the easiest way if you want to tune the car right out of the box.

You're also not guaranteed to need a new clutch immediately if you tune the manual. Just the possibility exists of killing it quite quickly depending on how you drive with more power.

The Rattles are a very individual dependent sort of thing. Some people have none, some have rattles that don't bother them, some people have rattles that they can't stand. Some people probably have rattles they don't notice. If you're super particular, this could be a problem, but I certainly wouldn't be scared off buying the car because of it.

Not too many people on here lamenting their GTI purchases. There's a few of course, but people generally write them off as the kind of people who are never satisfied by anything.

Personally I love this car. :D

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
I wanted a base model GTI but the damn a$$hole dealer sold me a LP SE! It had everything I wanted: "leather", sunroof, MT, Fender audio and the lighting package.

If I could do it again I'd get the base model with AT. (Ideally with the LP and Fender audio) Its not real leather (although maybe that's a good thing since it'll last longer), the sunroof squeaks/rattles and you'll need a new clutch if you get a tune with the MT.

AudiSport4000

5cyl turbo
Since I just got mine on Tuesday I'd say yes ;) I previously had a Mk6 GTI and a Mk5 Rabbit, so I was anxious to drive a Mk7.5. Only 400 miles in, but I love this thing.

frailingbanjo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE 6MT
Traded in my Honda Fit "Sport" (it had a spoiler) in Feb for a '16 SE MT. Absolutely love it. Sometimes when I am on a long interstate drive, I think to myself "Why did I buy this thing?" , then I get on the mountain roads where I live and a smile comes to my face.

Awesome car.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I had a 2016 GTI and replaced it with a bigger suv for family needs. I am looking forward to add a GTI in the garage when time comes. Why? Because, no other vehicle have better fun to money ratio. Its a proven platform and minor mods (not talking about ECU and TCU tunes) transforms the whole experience. Its a great, fun to drive DD.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
I bought my 2016 GTI S knowing I would be commuting a lot across the state in 2017. Great car for mpg’s and overall fun to drive. I went minor on the mods knowing fairly early on the manual front drive platform is not where I personally wanted to dump a lot of money. Mine was at a good balance of performance and value imo. The clutch thing was ultimately a $1500-2000 downer to me. It never slipped, but was a nagging concern. Did not want to take that next $5000 step in mods (clutch, turbo, tuning) in a car that has pretty poor depreciation.

With all that said it was a fun little commuter. I personally knowing the crowd that drives these GTI’s would not risk buying one used without dealer verified warranty and no TD1. Good luck. So to answer your question, yes I would do it again. Would have kept GTI if I had the garage space. :).

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Since I’ve had a 15,16,17, and 18 I’m going to have to say, yes.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
This is my second GTI, I had a MK6 for four years previous to this car - so I did do it again.
I've never had a problem with either of them, and I don't tune - so I don't worry about powertrain problems.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
8 months 8K miles.....if it doesn't give me any problems (1x wheel pb's didn't work till restart) it will be the best car I've ever had. It is an amazing all arounder car. Depending on what you ask it to do. Tt can be economical (35 mpg), room for 4, haul ass, haul cargo, fly down twist roads at non-recommended speeds, impress your father in law, look like race car, look like generic hatchback. It really does it all. You can find cars that do any one of those things better but doubtful you'll find one that does them all as good.

My only dislike is the color but I knew what model I wanted (Sport) and this was a great price/easy purchase compared to anything else I was offered.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I bought my DSG GTI because of an ankle injury. I wanted a Golf-R but the local dealers had none in AT at the time. If I was to do it again I would go straight to the Golf-R. In fact I am still planning to get the DSG Golf-R to replace my GTI while I keep my MT one.

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
Current owner and 110% yes. This is my 3rd vw. Started with mk6 Gti. Then moved to a mk7 and had a mk2 for a brief stint.

Very fun cars in manual and dsg.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk