GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Am I being picky?

Gunter

Passed Driver's Ed
So in March I took delivery of my Golf MK7 which I love btw. It’s good for my hardware store and okra runs and trips around SoCal. It’ll be goin on it first road trip a cross country one this fall. However one thing that’s started to really bother me is the rattle from the sunroof. I’ve already taken it in 4 times 2 of which they kept a couple weeks but I did get a badass alltrack as a loaner but the rattle is insane to me. I’m almost at the point that I may consider trading it in but I don’t want to go through the whole car buying bull but I don’t want to be listening to rattles all the time either.

If you have the sunroof does yours rattle? If so how do you cope? Did you trade? Did Volkswagen fix it?

Please help

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
My 16 squeaks sometimes. Bought gummy pfledge to lube the rubber and it goes away for 8 months, then just relube.
I brought it in about a year ago for service and there was a sunroof service bulletin; the frame was prone to cracking. The "fix" was to use some kind of tape. :confused: Mine was "fixed" in 3 places.
Whatevers.

ILoveButter

Ready to race!
How much okra does someone need? The only way its edible is breaded and fried and in cajun foods.

A couple weeks?!! Find a new dealer. Really though do a Google search and you will find things to try for different parts of the sunroof that might cause the noise. Dick around with it and fix it yourself if you have the way to do it.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Rattles drive me nuts. I have a 15 Golf with a sunroof and it seems to be holding up so far. I would keep pushing the issue.

stillwellm10

Ready to race!
I had mine in for the sunroof service bulletin like 6 months ago. During the winter it creaks etc on days in the teens. Anything warmer than that I haven't had any issues with it. For those handful days I just deal with it. Otherwise mine is a complete joy to have! I'd recommend taking it to another dealer or do what DSC suggested.

Last edited:

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
A search in the forum will show several people have rattle and leak issues with their sunroof. Sunroof is a weak link in this platform and VW does not have a permanent fix for this issue.

cdubbgti911

Ready to race!
I have a sunroof and have zero rattle from mine. I would say no you are not being picky. A brand new car should not have these kind of issues form the start. Did VW get this fixed for you? Hopefully you get this fixed.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Lube your sunroof seal OP.
Gummi, 303 Protectant, dielectric grease, or whatever else you like.
This may be enough to solve your problem.