GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Technically more of an automatically shifted manual, no? The gearbox itself is mechanically much more similar to a manual than a traditional auto.

Yes and no. I say manually shifted shifted because "normal" operation means the transmission is shifting by itself but you can override with manual shifting. Advertisers do not say that it is an automatically shifting manual, they say its an automatic with manual shifting option

m0kk

I'm looking to get a cargo box for my Golf R.

I need help. Where do I start? Roof rails from VW? Box from Thule?

Are there companies that install these kind of things for you, or is it more of an "order parts online and install it yourself" kind of thing?

EDIT: Apparently VW sells everything. That's good to know. Is $900 for everything paying too much, or is that what I should expect?

Last edited:

JasGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
It's not a sequential transmission. It's a manually shifted Auto. Every auto with manual shifting that I've ever driven is like this. fusion, Camry, and my friends Honda (don't remember the model) all have it this way

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Absolutely, it does not have a sequential transmission. I said that because as a tranny with a clutch but no H-gate they present a nearly identical shift to a DSG (ignoring lifting/blipping stuff.)

I definitely wouldn't call it a manual automatic though, as someone mentioned. In automotive vernacular, "Automatic" implies a torque converter, and "manual" implies a clutch and H-gate.

If you are trying to explain a DSG in simple terms, just stick with "Automated manual."

I can see why some people find it intuitive; push up, shift up. Makes sense in a Camry.

In a car meant to be driven hard, the logic breaks down. Under acceleration pushing something forward is more difficult, and pulling back while braking is a damn clumsy affair. That combined with the way sequential boxes are shifted made me expect a pull-upshift in the GTI.

Anyway back to the question: Regardless of opinion on the better style, does anyone know if it is possible to change the programmed behavior?

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
DCT's are called Automatically Shifted Manual Transmissions. ASMT for short.

imthanick_a is confusing tiptronic (manually shifted auto) with the DSG. Most people don't know how the DSG works though, so not a big deal really. Think of it as two manual transmissions jammed into one housing which uses super complicated stuff to make it work. Because it is so complicated, it would be impossible for a person to drive using a clutch pedal, since you would need two clutch pedals, and two shifters. For that reason it is automatically shifted by a computer.

The DSG behavior can be changed with a tune.

JasGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm looking to get a cargo box for my Golf R.

I need help. Where do I start? Roof rails from VW? Box from Thule?

Are there companies that install these kind of things for you, or is it more of an "order parts online and install it yourself" kind of thing?

EDIT: Apparently VW sells everything. That's good to know. Is $900 for everything paying too much, or is that what I should expect?

If your R is under warranty and you can have the roof rack done by your dealership it is fully worth it provided they warranty the roof rack AND confirm, in writing, that if it damages the car that's covered, and it won't negate your existing car warranty. I have no doubt you will pay at least some premium for a VW branded dealer installed setup but if you are under warranty, it's worth it.

If you are not concerned with the above, then how much weight do you expect to be carrying? Long or short trips? Will you use it for bicycles or kayaks too? What is your budget?

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
DCT's are called Automatically Shifted Manual Transmissions. ASMT for short.

imthanick_a is confusing tiptronic (manually shifted auto) with the DSG. Most people don't know how the DSG works though, so not a big deal really. Think of it as two manual transmissions jammed into one housing which uses super complicated stuff to make it work. Because it is so complicated, it would be impossible for a person to drive using a clutch pedal, since you would need two clutch pedals, and two shifters. For that reason it is automatically shifted by a computer.

The DSG behavior can be changed with a tune.
I was saying automatic because it automatically shifts for you in normal operation

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Probably answered, but while searching on a dealers site, saw a GTI SE with a "Technology Package"

What exactly would that be??

Quite a few dealers near me advertise certain used CPO Golf and Jetta trims with a technology package when it was never an option when they were new. Baffled me as well but I guess they are trying to pass off some standard features as an addon to jack the price up.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

CHarmer

Passed Driver's Ed
My mk6 use to have “one touch windows” where you would touch the button and it would go all the way down or up. When i bought my cpo mk7 this was not the case. I read to hold the button down after lowering for three seconds and right after do the same for raising.
This doesn’t seem to work, any suggestions on how to set that up?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
My mk6 use to have “one touch windows” where you would touch the button and it would go all the way down or up. When i bought my cpo mk7 this was not the case. I read to hold the button down after lowering for three seconds and right after do the same for raising.
This doesn’t seem to work, any suggestions on how to set that up?

It has two detents, the first for manual lowering/raising, the second for auto. If you're pushing past the first detent and it doesn't go all the way, it may be turned off and you should be able to turn it back on in the infotainment menu. If that doesn't work, the dealer should be able to reprogram it for you for free since it's a CPO.

ILoveButter

Ready to race!
Is there any "tuneablity" to apr tunes? For instance say you decide to upgrade from an is20 to a dbv2 and go from a stage 1 to the stage 2 is38. Is that tune going to leave some meat on the bones? I figure that's the case and I'm thinking I made a mistake of jumping in too quickly and didnt do enough research on other tuners

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Is there any "tuneablity" to apr tunes? For instance say you decide to upgrade from an is20 to a dbv2 and go from a stage 1 to the stage 2 is38. Is that tune going to leave some meat on the bones? I figure that's the case and I'm thinking I made a mistake of jumping in too quickly and didnt do enough research on other tuners

APR is an OTS (off the shelf) tune so there is still some left of the table when compared to a pro-tune (custom tune). There is no APR tune for a non IS turbo, you would need to go custom tune to support the DBV2. If you upgrade from stage 1 IS38 to stage 2, I think they give you a small discount or something.

APR is meant to work for all cars, pro-tune is specific for maxing out one car. As far as tune ability goes, APR has none and a pro-tune has enough tune ability to let you blow up your car (I mean you would really have to try and do things that it tells you not too, but you could do it if so determined). So it's a trade off. Do you want plug and play, or to tinker with stuff to eek out that extra bit.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
What's the max psi I can safely use on eurodyne adjustable?
55 should be a good amount.

Try waiting for an answer to you post that was in the correct thread instead of copy pasting into new ones.