GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to deal with road Rage?

RichardCranium

Ready to race!
I've never swerved at some one or anything that would cause injury or loss of life. I give people the bird and use my horn, only when they do something illegal or dangerous that affect the safety of drivers in the area.

I have been the victim of road rage many times. The worst was a guy with his young daughter in the car who decided he didn't like the fact I passed him. He then speed up to ~90 to pass and swerve in front of me before slamming on the brakes. I kinda saw this all coming so I was already on the brakes. He then accelerated rapidly while swerving across both lanes (4 lane divided highway, so two in the same direction) as well as the emergency lane (shoulder). In the end, I faked him out by pretending to go one direction, while then passing him in the other lane to take my exit. The look of terror on his daughters face gave me all the feels. I felt so bad for her.... and then after exiting, I started to get mad. What the fuck was this asshole doing scaring and endangering his daughter like that. Filthy fucking scum.

Edit: I should note that our speed had slowed to 50 MPH during his crazy manuvers. I wasn't about to be going fast since he was in a lifted pick up truck and I was in a 03 Passat 1.8T. I wasn't about to cause an accident.

I had some hoosier do that to me when he got upset his brand new four banger Camaro couldn't keep up with my crappy stock foreign car(the GTI).

He swerved at me several times when I refused to let him cut me off by burying it. Rush hour traffic in the middle of Phoenix. Unbelievable.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I had some hoosier do that to me when he got upset his brand new four banger Camaro couldn't keep up with my crappy stock foreign car(the GTI).

He swerved at me several times when I refused to let him cut me off by burying it. Rush hour traffic in the middle of Phoenix. Unbelievable.

Some people have no respect for their own lives, let alone others.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I was driving to work the other day. Someone pulled out too close in front of me from a cross street. Had already anticipated that from the look on her face when she was stopped. Tapped the brakes to let her in. We both made it safely to our destinations (at least I did). The end.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
sometimes you do have to pull out in front of people (bust roads) what GMG is when they do it and the traffic is light. Even worse when they then proceed to go slow.....

another clip of the type of roads on my rides:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPLr8bYz4zM

I worry about doing them with Dubs.....we would occasionally get in trouble with iconic American cars. I imagine folks even more apt to report imports.

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
This is going to sound counterintuitive.

Ever since I have had 2 Kimber pepper pistols in the door pocket (after an incident when someone approached my car for absolutely no reason, so baffling I think he had the wrong car), I am absolutely calm in situations that would have aggravated me. Knowing you have 90 minutes of agony on tap for anyone dumb enough to want it brings serenity. I even have one with me when I ride.

Kimber PepperBlaster II - Gray https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004MG63X6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ORZuBbC2GQQ81

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
A common occurance on UK roads is when somenone overtakes on a motorway (highway or interstate) then gradually slows down til they've reduced speed by 20MPH. You naturally overtake them back, to maintain progress not cos you're racing them, they glance across looking a bit annoyed as you've passed them then they reovertake you and the process can continue for many miles; dumb. If you're in a hurry just get moving and disappear over the horizon....

Last edited:

racerx20

Ready to race!
A common occurance on UK roads is when somenone overtakes on a motorway (highway or interstate) then gradually slows down til they've reduced speed by 20MPH. You naturally overtake them back, to maintain progress not cos you're racing them, they glance across looking a bit annoyed as you've passed them then they reovertake you and the process can continue for many miles; dumb. If you're in a hurry just get moving and disappear over the horizon....

Damn I thought this was unique to Texas highways.

yakuza70

Passed Driver's Ed
I've always wondered why we turn into such arrogant, angry jerks when we are driving. If a similar situation occurred when you were say walking in a crowded area, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have turned into such anger.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
I've always wondered why we turn into such arrogant, angry jerks when we are driving. If a similar situation occurred when you were say walking in a crowded area, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have turned into such anger.
Ahh because you don't walk around in a 3000lb suit of armor/weapon. Or maybe you do?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RebelGTI1

Passed Driver's Ed
you see the same anger/hate online

Agreed. As soon as some people start feeling invulnerable to some degree they start showing their true colors.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
you see the same anger/hate online
Animosity.

I have friends who can come off as real jerks online, but are really nice people.

Then there's some who are the opposite.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk